POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : crash when using more than 4Gb memory : Re: crash when using more than 4Gb memory Server Time
24 Apr 2024 15:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crash when using more than 4Gb memory
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Dec 2013 08:08:17
Message: <52a31dc1$1@news.povray.org>
Le 07/12/2013 09:04, fdecomite nous fit lire :
> Well, I said 4gb to make it simple. It was somewhere aroud 4-5g, i didn't wait
> for the scratch loking the screen

Do not simplify. 4gb is a classical 32bits limit, but 4-5gb is something
different.

Did you run memtest86+ recently ? (there is now a fix for it, as running
it from grub failed since 12.04, either it has reached already the
official distribution or i can search the PPA if you need it)

Testing your script with seuilDeBase = 1, and updated test of macro for
>= 7, it should generate about 21^7 objects.

Just 1 801 088 541 leaves. I do not have enough memory for that (that's
2G objects... ), but parsing went fine till 7.9g and more, (even past
8.4g is fine)

Parsing 6264062K tokens

By the time I finished that post, the memory used is at 10g and counting.

Parsing 8222562K tokens