POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debugging and line numbers Server Time
2 May 2024 01:41:24 EDT (-0400)
  Debugging and line numbers (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: clipka
Subject: Debugging and line numbers
Date: 2 Feb 2009 11:55:00
Message: <web.4987253e77e9544e28aa539a0@news.povray.org>
So now I got very frequent segfaults in my development version of POV-Ray -
frequent enough to be reproducible even with the non-optimized debug version
within a few seconds. Time to track them down with valgrind and gdb.

Hum... so now I know in which *function* it crashes - but what do I have to do
in order to get the *line number*??

Digging through assembler code and trying to match it with the C++ source code
is a bit cumbersome, so I guess there *must* be an easier way... even Linux
jockeys can't be *that* masochistic :)

I knew I wouldn't like debugging under Linux :S

Post a reply to this message

> So now I got very frequent segfaults in my development version of POV-R
ay -
> frequent enough to be reproducible even with the non-optimized debug ve
rsion
> within a few seconds. Time to track them down with valgrind and gdb.
>
> Hum... so now I know in which *function* it crashes - but what do I hav
e to do
> in order to get the *line number*??
>
> Digging through assembler code and trying to match it with the C++ sour
ce code
> is a bit cumbersome, so I guess there *must* be an easier way... even L
inux
> jockeys can't be *that* masochistic :)
>
> I knew I wouldn't like debugging under Linux :S

To debug, you should run povray with gdb. Then you'll be able to add
breakpoint and/or view the stack-trace on a segfault

another way is to integrate povray sources in a project under KDevelop
and then run in debug mode .. it will show you the "wrong" code

good luck

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:54:22 -0500, clipka wrote:

> So now I got very frequent segfaults in my development version of
> POV-Ray - frequent enough to be reproducible even with the non-optimized
> debug version within a few seconds. Time to track them down with
> valgrind and gdb.
>
> Hum... so now I know in which *function* it crashes - but what do I have
> to do in order to get the *line number*??
>
> Digging through assembler code and trying to match it with the C++
> source code is a bit cumbersome, so I guess there *must* be an easier
> way... even Linux jockeys can't be *that* masochistic :)
>
> I knew I wouldn't like debugging under Linux :S

I'd second Thierry's suggestion - make sure you also compile with
symbolic information enabled (-g as I recall).

Another approach would be to run the program under strace.  gdb will give
you the ability to look at the call stack, though, where strace will just
give you a starting point.

Jim

Post a reply to this message