POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster. Server Time
17 May 2024 00:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: space cadet
Subject: Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster.
Date: 5 May 2006 16:35:00
Message: <web.445bb5b71797b7948339b0050@news.povray.org>
Following up to the thread in p.general (Input file size restrictions).

Nicolas,

Success! :-)  the intel c++ compiler for linux is installed on our altix
itanium cluster. I ran the ./configure command exactly as you indicated
(since you da man) with the addition of --prefix for a local install.

I didnt know what cxx options "-03 -ip" meant, but I threw them in there.
During the compile, warnings were issued that -03 is an unknown option to
icpc, and was ignored.

Also, I didnt get the flood of NOP warnings that the g++ build gave me.

I ran 'make install', watching nervously as file after file compiled. And it
built a 64bit version successfully. Kudos to you on the slick scripts! (I
assume you wrote the scripts since you wrote the install doc) Probably the
most hassle-free 3rd party build I've ever done (once I got a working
compiler).

So I ran my 500MB input pov file.  First, it parsed much quicker than the
povlinux version parsed. by about a 3:1 speed up, assuming due to povlinux
running in 32bit emulation layer. Then rendered the image in only 2
seconds. LOL. (of course, I had all costly settings turned off for the test
render).

It appears that the povlinux version was indeed completing the parsing phase
successfully based on the number of tokens reported parsed, but was dying in
the rendering phase.

So now I'm ready to try the 2.5GB input file. woo hoo!!

Thanks again for all your help! Really saved the day.
Phil

Post a reply to this message