POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster. : Re: Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster. Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Home build on 64bit Itanium cluster.
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 6 May 2006 13:50:56
Message: <445ce200@news.povray.org>
> One other thing I forgot to mention is that your suggested ./configure
> command you gave me only specified the c++ compiler, not the c compiler.

	The C compiler is required only when the support libraries need to
build too.  In this case, if you want to build them using icc as well (it's
desirable but not mandatory) you can also pass additional options to the
configure command-line:  CC=icc CFLAGS="-O3 -ip"

> But once I have a little breathing room, I'll
> rebuild using icc and -O3 and see what happens.

	It could make your binary somewhat faster, since the default icc
optimization level seems -O2 (in fact -O but the icc help page says that
-O2 and -O1/-O are equivalent).  Probably not so critical either.

> Just a joy to work with.

	Thanks!  One of the major goal for POV-Ray 3.6 for Unix was exactly
that: make it build out-of-the-box.  I'm glad it does also work on some
architecture/environment I had no chance to test myself.

	- NC