POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : transparency function? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 12:45:53 EDT (-0400)
  transparency function? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: JieLI
Subject: transparency function?
Date: 14 Jun 2004 13:25:01
Message: <web.40cdddacabc6c7733b0807bc0@news.povray.org>
I am a new user for povray. hope to use this tool to visualize my simulation
results.  My system includes one atomic cluster  in a fluid composed of
multiple single-atom molecules.

To view the structure, I wish to use the "transparent" function of povray to
show the liquid molecules. It turns out that this works on my PC,  but this
function completely disappears when I transferred the same code to the Linux
system.
Is there such a function for Linux system, or just something is missing in
the INI file? Can anyone give me a clue on this?

Also, the transparent function does not work perfectly on PC: for no-overlap
case, it is perfect. However, when there are overlaps b/n liquid particles,
the color becoms non-realistically darker. This is not required. Anyway to
solve this problem to achieve the effect of a stone in water ?

What I used is specifying the color of each liquid particle by "rgbt
(0,1,0,0.9)"

Thanks,

Jie

Post a reply to this message

> I am a new user for povray. hope to use this tool to visualize my simulation
> results.  My system includes one atomic cluster  in a fluid composed of
> multiple single-atom molecules.
> To view the structure, I wish to use the "transparent" function of povray to
> show the liquid molecules. It turns out that this works on my PC,  but this
> function completely disappears when I transferred the same code to the Linux
> system.

Which transparency function are you talking about in detail? Transparent
textures, alpha-channel in images or transparency in the final output?

Normally there are no differences between the different version of POV
(Linux/Windows/Mac), so could you perhaps post some code which shows
that behaviour? (There used to be a difference in fresnel reflection,
dunno if it's still there in 3.6).

HTH,
Florian

Post a reply to this message

  > Also, the transparent function does not work perfectly on PC: for
no-overlap
> case, it is perfect. However, when there are overlaps b/n liquid particles,
> the color becoms non-realistically darker. This is not required. Anyway to
> solve this problem to achieve the effect of a stone in water ?

Given just this info, my hunch is that if you wrap the overlapping
particles with a "merge { }" the color difference may disappear.