POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : SSE2 and Linux Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:36:20 EDT (-0400)
  SSE2 and Linux (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Augustus
Subject: SSE2 and Linux
Date: 4 Sep 2002 11:00:16
Message: <web.3d761fa5cad4282b1c1896010@news.povray.org>
The SSE2 optimizations found in the Windows port of POVRay don't seem to
show up in the Linux port.  Why is this or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Augustus

Post a reply to this message

From: Safari
Subject: Re: SSE2 and Linux
Date: 4 Sep 2002 12:41:30
Message: <slrnancdtp.20m.y7pt9001@safari.homelinux.net>
On Wed,  4 Sep 2002 10:58:45 EDT, Augustus <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The SSE2 optimizations found in the Windows port of POVRay don't seem to
> show up in the Linux port.  Why is this or am I missing something?

did compiler used to generate win binary generate SSE2 code or
does windows version include hand-coded asm optimizations?

at least with ICC 6 only one out of 10000000 executed instructions
was MMX one when I tested it some time ago (icc -tpp6 -xM).

unfortunately I can't test SSE2 stuff.

--
Safari - y7p### [at] sneakemailcomgovinvalid
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds

Post a reply to this message

> The SSE2 optimizations found in the Windows port of POVRay don't seem to
> show up in the Linux port.  Why is this or am I missing something?

So far only Pentium4 support SSE2. I can prepare a linux binary that uses
SSE2 intructions.. but so far I have found nobody with a P4 to test it. If
you have such a beast and would like to do the testing I will make a binary
for it.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection