POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:48:23 EDT (-0400)
  Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Joe
Subject: Problems running POV 3.5 on Debian/Solaris remotely
Date: 30 Apr 2003 01:37:46
Message: <3eaf612a$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

    I've been trying to get povray working on a Debian box I use as a
development machine remotely from my Windows box.  When I log into it (using
ssh) and try to run povray on one of the demo scene files, it flashes some
output on the screen giving the options I've specified but then clears the
terminal and produces no file output.  I got the same thing when using the
build of POV installed on my college's Solaris machines remotely, even
though it works fine when I'm locally connected.

    I'm using the standard 3.5 linux binaries, and assume this is something
to do with Unix terminal/console subtleties with which I am not conversant.
I've looked through the archives for this group and have seen some similar
problems mentioned with respect to rsh, but haven't found any clear
solutions.  I would really like to get this to work!

    Thanks in advance for any ideas,

        Joe

Post a reply to this message

Does your ssh session have X-output ability to your windows session?
If not, the problem may be the preview display. In that case try
-d option. As I said, a blind guess.

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end

Post a reply to this message

>     I've been trying to get povray working on a Debian box I use as a
> development machine remotely from my Windows box.  When I log into it (using
> ssh) and try to run povray on one of the demo scene files, it flashes some
> output on the screen giving the options I've specified but then clears the
> terminal and produces no file output.  I got the same thing when using the
> build of POV installed on my college's Solaris machines remotely, even
> though it works fine when I'm locally connected.

I do this on my own system, only logging into my Mandrake box from my
Mac (running Mac OS X), and it works fine in console or X11 display
mode. And I've used PuTTY to log into both of those from a Windows 2000
machine, though not to run POV-Ray. What software are you using on the
Windows machine? What do you use when locally connected?
My first guess is that the other poster is right, try turning display
off. There's probably a way to run X11 programs from Windows, but I
don't know about it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/