POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pyvon include problem Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:08:18 EDT (-0400)
  Pyvon include problem (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Bob R
Subject: Pyvon include problem
Date: 25 Apr 2003 14:58:14
Message: <3ea98546@news.povray.org>
Steve wrote in message ...

Ref: Copied here from Uncle Ken's Survey thread.
>On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:44:05 -0700, Bob R wrote:
>> Anyone know where I should look for the problem? A setting in
Pyvon?
>> (I'm new to Linux, so please don't just say, "check *all* your
*.conf
>> files". I feel 'lost' enough now!!)
>
>I had a similar problem at one time, the cause was having old library
>path lines in my .povrayrc file, I still had lines for 3.1g and this
>caused terible probles just like the ones you're describing, so I
suggest
>that you take comment out your 3.1g lines and put new ones in to
reflect
>the upgrade to 3.5, here's what I have in my .povrayrc in the library
path
>section:
>
>;; Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray31                 ;; (+Ldir)
>;; Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray31/include
>Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray-3.5/include
>Library_Path=/home/sjlen/pov
>;;Library_Path=/home/sjlen/povincludes
>
>As you can see you use a double semicolon to comment a line out.  So
the
>only lines that POV is reading from the above are:
>
>Library_Path=/usr/local/lib/povray-3.5/include
>Library_Path=/home/sjlen/pov
>
>And I think that if you're reading the .pov file from a read only
device
>then you need to specify the output directory and file name on the
command
>line (and I think you can do this in the .povrayrc file aswell), such
as

>$povray -i/dev/cdrom/pov/money.pov -o./money.ppm
>
>See 5.2.2.3.2 in the povdocs it says you can use Output_File_Name= in
your
>.povrayrc file so something like:
>
>Output_File_Name= /home/sjlen/pov/newrender.ppm
>
>Hope some of that helps.
>--
>%HAV-A-NICEDAY                    email
mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet
http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/
http://start.at/zero-pps
> 11:00am  up 48 days,  7:25,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Thanks Steve.

I never installed POV3.1g on the new machine, it's a fresh install of
Debian3.0r1 Linux, POVray(linux, from povray.org)3.5, Pyvon 3.1.
Pyvon seems to work fine now on files that don't use nested includes.
I just rendered 'cliche.pov' and several others, logged into X/KDE as
a 'user'(added to group 'staff'). The file I'm experiencing problems
with is the .../scenes/advanced/balcony/balcony.pov. Looks like it
picks up the 'straight' includes, but chokes on object{Glass .....}
which is declared in the (local) glass.inc included from
'table_stuff.inc' (show_Table_Stuff=true; in 'balcony.pov').
Last night I rendered 'balcony.pov' from the command line in a
terminal, no probs. This leads me to believe the problem is with Pyvon
rather than POV-Linux.

The only thing I can think of is it's picking up the 'glass.inc' in
.../povray-3.5/include/ before it looks locally in
.../balcony/glass.inc. I could copy 'balcony' to a 'user' directory
and/or rename 'glass.inc' to prove that, but getting the 'picture'
isn't what I'm worried about. It should look *locally* before
searching the Library paths, AFAIK. Maybe someone else with Pyvon on
KDE could render 'balcony' so I'd know if it's just *my* set-up?

The output (*.png, alltext.out, error file) is going into the 'user'
home directory, like I want. I'll adjust the output directory later.

Fabien Henon is doing a great job, filling a BIG hole for us GUI
lovers. I'd like to help him, but alas, I'm only on the first rung of
this giant (greased) Linux ladder!! I may look into porting Cris
Cason's windows code to X/C++ after I finish setting up my new P4
machine. Don't hold your breath though, with only a single-brain-cell,
learning is slow for me!!<G>

Thanks for any help. Sorry about the length of this post
--
Bob 'confused' R
POVrookie

Post a reply to this message