POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : freeBSD without X Server Time
8 Jul 2024 20:04:08 EDT (-0400)
  freeBSD without X (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: pan
Subject: freeBSD without X
Date: 25 Nov 2002 20:20:13
Message: <3de2cc4d$1@news.povray.org>
How can I compile a command line only version of
3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?

I'm experimenting with generating images from
php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
fit into the schema.

Is this possible?
IIRC, the old DOS versions were command line ...

Is not having the splash screen come up a
show stopper for this use of povray?

> How can I compile a command line only version of
> 3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?
>
> I'm experimenting with generating images from
> php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
> fit into the schema.
>
> Is this possible?
> IIRC, the old DOS versions were command line ...
>
> Is not having the splash screen come up a
> show stopper for this use of povray?

It seems to me that pov-ray isn't designed to be compiled under all unices.
You'll probably need to edit the generated Makefiles by hand. The install
instructions are very vague unfortunately.
/Daniel

Post a reply to this message

>> How can I compile a command line only version of
>> 3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?
>>
>> I'm experimenting with generating images from
>> php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
>> fit into the schema.

Try the instructions in the Cygwin thread in this newsgroup.
I can't see why they shouldn't work for *BSD's too.

Dave

Post a reply to this message

"David Burnett" <var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote in message

> > "pan" <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote...
> >> How can I compile a command line only version of
> >> 3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?
> >>
> >> I'm experimenting with generating images from
> >> php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
> >> fit into the schema.
>
> Try the instructions in the Cygwin thread in this newsgroup.
> I can't see why they shouldn't work for *BSD's too.
>
> Dave

Thanks,

Tried the cygwin thread suggesstions.
Got a little further, but

gmake stops with 'missing separator' errors in
/src/Makefile
fixed that by adding in the missing {tab} characters, but

gmake still stops with 'no target for' errors
atmosph.Po
 ??? no such file I can find
also DEPDIR doesn't seem to get defined anywhere

am downloading new source just in case I got a bad copy

::frustrating::

Post a reply to this message

>> How can I compile a command line only version of
>> 3.5 for freeBSD 4.7-stable?
>>
>> I'm experimenting with generating images from
>> php scripts on a web server and X just doesn't
>> fit into the schema.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>> IIRC, the old DOS versions were command line ...
>>
>> Is not having the splash screen come up a
>> show stopper for this use of povray?
>
>It seems to me that pov-ray isn't designed to be compiled under all unices.
>You'll probably need to edit the generated Makefiles by hand. The install
>instructions are very vague unfortunately.
>/Daniel

I've recently installed OpenBSD 3.2 on a 'spare' 100 MHz Pentium.

The packages included with OpenBSD 3.2 include 'povray3.1_NO_X11'

The computer is slow, but I can run povray and copy the images it generates
to the webserver document root, where they can be viewed on a Linux
workstation.

(I don't know if I'd want PHP scripts with execution time measured in days,
however)

John.

Post a reply to this message

From: pan
Date: 27 Nov 2002 00:25:38
Message: <3de45752$1@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <joh### [at] engineercom> wrote in message
[snips]

> workstation.
>
> (I don't know if I'd want PHP scripts with execution time measured in
days,
> however)

As it turns out the freeBSD maintainer for the povray package is working
on new Makefile patches right now. The change to 3.50c changes what
needs to be patched.

PHP - scripts - not sure what you mean by 'time measurd in days' ?
A php script needs only to pass a flag that signals the execution
of a script by povray - the script does that and it's done. Other,
separate, scripts collect, collate and insert data into dbs and write
the .pov files.
The renderings I'm thinking of would make simple graphics mostly using
the 3d modelling space that is not available in almost all other
graphics engines. It's either use pov or write endless graphics
primitives in php classes that call on gd.
python and ruby are overkill
gnuplot, various perl routines, etc. are all 2d and wrap graphs in
axes and scales that are not very manipulable.
c/c++ is too much like reinventing the eight blind men who
accosted the elephant ... I just want to flexibly graph some 3d data.

Post a reply to this message

From: pavium
Date: 5 Dec 2002 02:05:09
Message: <web.3deefa6025f1d1ba4545d010@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
>"pavium" <joh### [at] engineercom> wrote in message
>
>> workstation.
>>
>> (I don't know if I'd want PHP scripts with execution time measured in
>days,
>> however)
>>

>As it turns out the freeBSD maintainer for the povray package is working
>on new Makefile patches right now. The change to 3.50c changes what
>needs to be patched.
>
>PHP - scripts - not sure what you mean by 'time measurd in days' ?
>A php script needs only to pass a flag that signals the execution
>of a script by povray - the script does that and it's done. Other,
>separate, scripts collect, collate and insert data into dbs and write
>the .pov files.
>The renderings I'm thinking of would make simple graphics mostly using
>the 3d modelling space that is not available in almost all other
>graphics engines. It's either use pov or write endless graphics
>primitives in php classes that call on gd.
>python and ruby are overkill
>gnuplot, various perl routines, etc. are all 2d and wrap graphs in
>axes and scales that are not very manipulable.
>c/c++ is too much like reinventing the eight blind men who
>accosted the elephant ... I just want to flexibly graph some 3d data.

Of course you'd do it that way -- it was more of a rueful comment on
the speed of my computer.

Pavium