POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : freeBSD without X : Re: freeBSD without X Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:34:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: freeBSD without X
From: pan
Date: 27 Nov 2002 00:25:38
Message: <3de45752$1@news.povray.org>
"pavium" <joh### [at] engineercom> wrote in message
[snips]

> workstation.
>
> (I don't know if I'd want PHP scripts with execution time measured in
days,
> however)

As it turns out the freeBSD maintainer for the povray package is working
on new Makefile patches right now. The change to 3.50c changes what
needs to be patched.

PHP - scripts - not sure what you mean by 'time measurd in days' ?
A php script needs only to pass a flag that signals the execution
of a script by povray - the script does that and it's done. Other,
separate, scripts collect, collate and insert data into dbs and write
the .pov files.
The renderings I'm thinking of would make simple graphics mostly using
the 3d modelling space that is not available in almost all other
graphics engines. It's either use pov or write endless graphics
primitives in php classes that call on gd.
python and ruby are overkill
gnuplot, various perl routines, etc. are all 2d and wrap graphs in
axes and scales that are not very manipulable.
c/c++ is too much like reinventing the eight blind men who
accosted the elephant ... I just want to flexibly graph some 3d data.