POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Poser figures and radiosity Server Time: 26 Jan 2020 11:07:32 GMT
  Poser figures and radiosity (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 10 Apr 2007 14:38:30
Message: <461ba166$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I am a bit at a loss with this. You possibly noticed like me that it is 
difficult to find correct radiosity settings for Poser figures, especially 
when they are in shadow. It is difficult to give an example as it much 
depends on scene, lighting, etc, but in general I have the impression that - 
even when the rest of the scene looks right - still the figures show 
disturbing artifacts, even after using really good settings slowing down the 
render to disproportionate levels.

Does anyone have a tip about this? That would be highly appreciated indeed!

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 10 Apr 2007 15:51:43
Message: <461bb28f$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> a écrit dans le message de 
news: 461ba166$1@news.povray.org...

> Does anyone have a tip about this?

Use Photoshop/Gimp/whatever to smooth out the artifacts... :(
Sorry I don't have a better tip, but that's what I always ended up doing, 
except for the IRTC of course (but then the characters were small so the 
artifacts weren't very visible). POV-Ray always had some bizarre 
mesh-related issues (and not just with radiosity).

G.


Post a reply to this message

From: Janet
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 11 Apr 2007 03:35:02
Message: <web.461c565aafd59be06a94621d0@news.povray.org>
Hi Thomas, I wish I could help. Can't you give one example? I haven't
noticed this problem at all. This is probably really obvious, but Pose-Ray
materials usually have a finish with: ambient rgb <0,0,0> reflection{0
metallic}. So, I don't know if that might be quite different from other
finish statements in the scene??? What's the crease angle set at in
Pose-Ray when you import your model? Maybe it needs to be higher?? Oh well,
I can agree with Gilles' solution too. :) Sometimes you gotta do that just
because the models aren't perfect, especially if you pose them certain
ways.

Janet

"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a bit at a loss with this. You possibly noticed like me that it is
> difficult to find correct radiosity settings for Poser figures, especially
> when they are in shadow. It is difficult to give an example as it much
> depends on scene, lighting, etc, but in general I have the impression that -
> even when the rest of the scene looks right - still the figures show
> disturbing artifacts, even after using really good settings slowing down the
> render to disproportionate levels.
>
> Does anyone have a tip about this? That would be highly appreciated indeed!
>
> Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 11 Apr 2007 07:05:15
Message: <461c88ab$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> schreef in bericht 
news:461bb28f$1@news.povray.org...
>
> Use Photoshop/Gimp/whatever to smooth out the artifacts... :(
> Sorry I don't have a better tip, but that's what I always ended up doing, 
> except for the IRTC of course (but then the characters were small so the 
> artifacts weren't very visible). POV-Ray always had some bizarre 
> mesh-related issues (and not just with radiosity).
>

Merci Gilles!
Hmm... I was 'afraid' I would end up with this finally. I had not thought 
about the mesh-related issues. Where Poser figures become important 
forefront characters, this is going to be a real problem. Alright, I'll see 
what I can do. For the time being, I opted for not using radiosity but a 
couple of feeble fill-in lights instead. That works fine but does not bring 
the overall quality of radiosity. I have to think about what Janet says 
too....

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 11 Apr 2007 07:15:47
Message: <461c8b23$1@news.povray.org>
"Janet" <par### [at] attnet> schreef in bericht 
news:web.461c565aafd59be06a94621d0@news.povray.org...
> Hi Thomas, I wish I could help. Can't you give one example? I haven't
> noticed this problem at all. This is probably really obvious, but Pose-Ray
> materials usually have a finish with: ambient rgb <0,0,0> reflection{0
> metallic}. So, I don't know if that might be quite different from other
> finish statements in the scene??? What's the crease angle set at in
> Pose-Ray when you import your model? Maybe it needs to be higher?? Oh 
> well,
> I can agree with Gilles' solution too. :) Sometimes you gotta do that just
> because the models aren't perfect, especially if you pose them certain
> ways.
>

Thanks indeed, Janet.
I probably shal come up with an example later on as I intend to do a bit of 
thorough testing, time allowing...
The finish statements are not really different from the rest of the scene, 
especially as I heavily edit the Poseray material file, getting rid of most 
of the redundant stuff.
You make me think about some test to do with the finish, though. I shall 
report back!

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 12 Apr 2007 08:00:09
Message: <461de709$1@news.povray.org>
OK. Nothing really world rocking so far, but at least I found out that the 
best settings to be used for Poser figures - in shade or in sunshine - is:

  radiosity { Rad_Settings(Radiosity_OutdoorHQ,off,off) }

The bad news of course is that the render is pretty slow, but with 
patience...

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Ive
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 16 Apr 2007 17:02:04
Message: <4623ac0c@news.povray.org>
Hi Thomas,

in addition to the things already mentioned:

for poser figures with radiosity that are NOT very close or
dominant in the screen I do the following:

avoid the usage of transmapped hair, use solid hair caps
(like the poser 4 hair styles which will - with a little fiddling
around - also fit the Mike, Vicky and Aiko figures)

remove the transmapped eyelashes or dial them
VERY short and use them with a solid color.

avoid any  transmapped dresses

do not use the (realistic,  transparent and reflective) cornea
but simply use the eye image_map on the cornea and remove
the eyeball, iris and pupil.


and well, if the figure is too close so the above mentioned will
not work I use insane radiosity settings like count 1600
with error_bound 0.3 and wait a for many days...

-Ive


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 17 Apr 2007 08:48:34
Message: <462489e2$1@news.povray.org>
"Ive" <ive### [at] lilysoftcom> schreef in bericht news:4623ac0c@news.povray.org...
> Hi Thomas,
>
> in addition to the things already mentioned:
>
> for poser figures with radiosity that are NOT very close or
> dominant in the screen I do the following:
>
> avoid the usage of transmapped hair, use solid hair caps
> (like the poser 4 hair styles which will - with a little fiddling
> around - also fit the Mike, Vicky and Aiko figures)
>
> remove the transmapped eyelashes or dial them
> VERY short and use them with a solid color.
>
> avoid any  transmapped dresses
>
> do not use the (realistic,  transparent and reflective) cornea
> but simply use the eye image_map on the cornea and remove
> the eyeball, iris and pupil.
>
>
> and well, if the figure is too close so the above mentioned will
> not work I use insane radiosity settings like count 1600
> with error_bound 0.3 and wait a for many days...
>

Thank you Ive! Some of your recommendations I have not used indeed, others 
were. What I mainly see are artifacts on the skin! And that is more 
difficult to get rid of, despite slimplifying the texture to the utmost. I 
found however, that it may help to have a little shadowless light to 
brighten up the shadows a tiny bit.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: fls13
Subject: Re: Poser figures and radiosity
Date: 4 May 2007 01:00:02
Message: <web.463a84dbafd59be0ae7268250@news.povray.org>
I render Poser figs in Pov all the time. Use Povman as an online aquaintance
and I have hacked Matt Pahrr's famous Renderman skin shader to, what I
think, is good result.I'd post my pics here more often, but they're often
nudes and I'm not sure how they'd be received here, but I would happily
exchange tips and tricks.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.