POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Rotate around central axis Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Rotate around central axis (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Philippe-H Cadet
Subject: Rotate around central axis
Date: 19 Dec 2000 02:03:29
Message: <3a3f0841$1@news.povray.org>
Hi. I have tried for months to find a way to rotate an object around it
central axis. How can I do that? I thought I could with the Matrix keyword
but if the object is not centered at the origin it does not work.

Some guy told me that I could use the vnormalize(...) function but the only
doc that I founded is

vnormalize(A) Normalize vector A. Returns a unit length vector that is the
same direction as A. Formula is vnormalize=A/vlength(A)

Can somebody help me rotate an object around it's own central axis please...
Philippe

Post a reply to this message

Philippe-H Cadet <del### [at] videotronca> wrote:
: Hi. I have tried for months to find a way to rotate an object around it
: central axis. How can I do that?

  Easy:

translate -ObjectCenter
rotate whatever
translate ObjectCenter

  You'll have to define ObjectCenter yourself.

> Philippe-H Cadet <del### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> : Hi. I have tried for months to find a way to rotate an object around it
> : central axis. How can I do that?
>
>   Easy:
>
> translate -ObjectCenter
> rotate whatever
> translate ObjectCenter

Or if you are simple minded like me

create or translate the object at <0,0,0>
rotate it
translate it wherever you need it to go.

Mick

Post a reply to this message