POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Rotate around central axis : Re: Rotate around central axis Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:02:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotate around central axis
From: Philippe-H Cadet
Date: 21 Dec 2000 02:07:41
Message: <3a41ac3d@news.povray.org>
>   Just think about a triangle. What is the center of the triangle? Is it
> the average of the vertex points? Is it the intersection of the lines
tangent
> to the sides of the triangle, going through the center of the side? Is it
> the intersection of the middle-angles of the vertex angles? Something
else?
>   Another reason is that it's not even possible to do it with many
objects.
>   How do you calculate the center of a julia object? An isosurface? A
poly?
> What is the center of a plane?

Yes, you are right!
I did not looked at this perspective. I was thinking it was
possible to know the 2d center by the the average of the vertex points or by
calculating
the area for a face and the apply the 2d rotation by the normal centered to
the whole object.
As I can see Povray is not vertex based, anyways I goin to try avoid this
metal illusion
that a shape or 3d object can have a middle.

Philippe