POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:07:24 EDT (-0400)
  edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern) (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: stbenge
Subject: edge_pigment02.inc (a proximity pattern)
Date: 24 Aug 2009 03:50:57
Message: <4a924661@news.povray.org>
The promise of having a shorter render time by using my fast proximity
pattern macros was, in a sense, a sham. They might render faster, but
the parsing is... painfully slow.

Here is a pattern that will parse more quickly. It might be a little
slower to render, but consider the trade-off: by increasing the render
time a small amount you can save time parsing. But more importantly you
gain a level of detail you can only achieve with object patterns.

And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
bona-fide object pattern...

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'edge_pigment02.inc.txt' (9 KB)

> And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
> somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
> bona-fide object pattern...

You mean, like adding an "inside_vector" statement to the mesh? :-P

Post a reply to this message

>> And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
>> somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
>> bona-fide object pattern...
>
> You mean, like adding an "inside_vector" statement to the mesh? :-P

Have you /actually/ gotten that to work?

Post a reply to this message

>>> And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
>>> somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
>>> bona-fide object pattern...
>>
>> You mean, like adding an "inside_vector" statement to the mesh? :-P
>
> Have you /actually/ gotten that to work?

Oh crap, /I/ just got it to work! When did this start being possible??
Oh cool :)

Post a reply to this message

>> Have you /actually/ gotten that to work?
>
> Oh crap, /I/ just got it to work! When did this start being possible??
> Oh cool :)

Phew - I just was about to confess that no, I never actually tested it
with the inside() function ;-)

(But I'd have been surprised if the SDL inside() function would used any
other mechanism than the very same inside test that's used in CSG, which
I knew works fine with inside_vector.)

Post a reply to this message

> >> Have you /actually/ gotten that to work?
> >
> > Oh crap, /I/ just got it to work! When did this start being possible??
> > Oh cool :)
>
> Phew - I just was about to confess that no, I never actually tested it
> with the inside() function ;-)
>
> (But I'd have been surprised if the SDL inside() function would used any
> other mechanism than the very same inside test that's used in CSG, which
> I knew works fine with inside_vector.)

Which kind of makes me wonder why inside_vector doesn't have a default value.
It seems like the direction rarely matters that much, but if you forget to
specify it...

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

>>> And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
>>> somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
>>> bona-fide object pattern...
>>

>> You mean, like adding an "inside_vector" statement to the mesh? :-P
>

> Have you /actually/ gotten that to work?

http://tinyurl.com/kvww3t

Post a reply to this message

> Which kind of makes me wonder why inside_vector doesn't have a default value.
> It seems like the direction rarely matters that much, but if you forget to
> specify it...

  My guess is that specifying inside_vector makes the rendering of the
mesh slower in some situations (probably eg. when there's media or fog
around), which is why it's turned off by default.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message