POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64bit windows compile? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  64bit windows compile? (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: 64bit windows compile?
Date: 22 Apr 2004 06:58:02
Message: <4087a53a@news.povray.org>

> > In general POV-Ray compiles on 64bit systems but it won't be faster (in
> > most cases even slower).  The main advantage would be to be able to
> > address more than 4GB of memory.

> I couldn't believe this and did some testing with my own compilations of
> POVRay.

  As noted in other articles of this thread, there's a slight confusion
of concepts here.

  64-bitness in itself does not bring any speed benefit to POV-Ray.
There's nothing special in having 64-bit pointers (and long integers,
which are not used almost anywhere in POV-Ray) which would bring
extra speed.
  However, making an AMD64-optimized binary can and most probably will
give speed benefits. However, this is not because AMD64 is a 64-bit
processor. It's because it has new features which the compiler can use
to make faster code and which the 32-bit processors don't have.

  In a 64-bit processor which has no extra speeding features compared
to its 32-bit equivalent (the UltraSparc being a good example of this)
you won't get any speed benefits from making a 64-bit binary.

>> > In general POV-Ray compiles on 64bit systems but it won't be faster (in
>> > most cases even slower).  The main advantage would be to be able to
>> > address more than 4GB of memory.
>
>> I couldn't believe this and did some testing with my own compilations of
>> POVRay.
>
>   As noted in other articles of this thread, there's a slight confusion
> of concepts here.
>
>   64-bitness in itself does not bring any speed benefit to POV-Ray.
> There's nothing special in having 64-bit pointers (and long integers,
> which are not used almost anywhere in POV-Ray) which would bring
> extra speed.
>   However, making an AMD64-optimized binary can and most probably will
> give speed benefits. However, this is not because AMD64 is a 64-bit
> processor. It's because it has new features which the compiler can use
> to make faster code and which the 32-bit processors don't have.

And thats the point. A 64Bit-compile on an AMD64 box will increase the
performance of POVRay. If this increase of performance is caused by the
64-bitness or the increased number of (SSE) registers is meaningless. It
_will_ be faster. Thats the point. And so a version of POVRay for
WindowsXP 64Bit edition will bring advantages against a 32 Bit Version.

Tonight I am going to make some tests with different versions of POVRay
and the official POVRay benchmark file and also with a file with a lots
of spheres to test the influence of the memory interface.

--

mat### [at] matweide
http://www.matwei.de

Post a reply to this message