POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64bit windows compile? : Re: 64bit windows compile? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:54:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64bit windows compile?
From: Warp
Date: 22 Apr 2004 08:50:47
Message: <4087bfa7@news.povray.org>

> And thats the point. A 64Bit-compile on an AMD64 box will increase the
> performance of POVRay. If this increase of performance is caused by the
> 64-bitness or the increased number of (SSE) registers is meaningless. It
> _will_ be faster. Thats the point.

  No, I don't think that was the point.

  The original question was: "Has anyone tried to compile 3.5 with 64bit
optimizations?"
  From my part I can answer: Yes, I have tried. It didn't give any
speed benefits. In fact, it was some percents slower than the 32-bit
version. (More specifically, I have tried it with an UltraSparc processor
which supports both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.)

  That was the point.

  If the question had been "has anyone tried to compile an AMD64-optimized
version of POV-Ray" that would have been a different thing.

> And so a version of POVRay for
> WindowsXP 64Bit edition will bring advantages against a 32 Bit Version.

  That depends on the CPU you are using. That statement of yours seems
to imply that a version compiled for a 64bit edition of WindowsXP will
automatically be faster, period, *regardless of the processor used*.
That's not true. The OS doesn't matter, it's the CPU which matters.

  Could we *please* stop widespreading false concepts? If you keep
claiming that "a 64-bit version of POV-Ray will be faster than
a 32-bit version" without any further details, you are just giving
misconceptions to people. People are going to think that there's
something magic in the 64-bitness which POV-Ray can benefit from
for extra speed.

  Instead, say "an AMD64-optimized version of POV-Ray will be faster
than a 32-bit version of POV-Ray run in the AMD64 processor".
  After all, it's not all that different from "a P4-optimized version
of POV-Ray will be faster than a version optimized for earlier processors
when run in a P4".