POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Basics. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 02:35:59 EDT (-0400)
  Basics. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mike1158
Subject: Basics.
Date: 2 Mar 2014 10:00:01
Message: <web.5313465fe75917c4ed800a5d0@news.povray.org>
OK, I get the impresion that this render engine will give random attibutes to
textures in a model for render, or at least seems to.  Forgive my ignorance
because I cannot find the information I am looking for and to be honest bulletin
boards are a bit 1980.  How do I associate an attribute I want rather than a
random type?  How do I associate a material with bump or a bump map?

Other than allow the program to do what it wants, how do I actually achieve
anything with pov-ray?

I know, search, done and the results are very hit and miss.  To be honest I
cannot see the point of a render program with randomly associated material
attributes.  Have a good day folks.

Post a reply to this message

> OK, I get the impresion that this render engine will give random attibutes to
> textures in a model for render, or at least seems to.  Forgive my ignorance
> because I cannot find the information I am looking for and to be honest bulletin
> boards are a bit 1980.  How do I associate an attribute I want rather than a
> random type?  How do I associate a material with bump or a bump map?
>
> Other than allow the program to do what it wants, how do I actually achieve
> anything with pov-ray?
>
> I know, search, done and the results are very hit and miss.  To be honest I
> cannot see the point of a render program with randomly associated material
> attributes.  Have a good day folks.

What? The textures in Povray are randomly made? Are you sure? Or your
knowledge is not big enough to understand the system of textures in
Povray. What is your problem with rendering in Povray, can you explain
it? And in last, have you read the documentation?
Povray is hard to master, it need a long learning.

Lionel.

--
Do not judge my words, judge my actions.

---

> OK, I get the impresion that this render engine will give random
> attibutes to
> textures in a model for render, or at least seems to.  Forgive my
> ignorance
> because I cannot find the information I am looking for and to be honest
> bulletin
> boards are a bit 1980.  How do I associate an attribute I want rather
> than a
> random type?  How do I associate a material with bump or a bump map?
>
> Other than allow the program to do what it wants, how do I actually
> achieve
> anything with pov-ray?
>
> I know, search, done and the results are very hit and miss.  To be
> honest I
> cannot see the point of a render program with randomly associated
> material
> attributes.  Have a good day folks.

You are mistaken. I've never seen any randomly associated textures without
explicitly coding it in Pov-ray.

try http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/13/

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 3 Mar 2014 20:03:53
Message: <53152679@news.povray.org>

> OK, I get the impresion that this render engine will give random attibutes to
> textures in a model for render, or at least seems to.  Forgive my ignorance
> because I cannot find the information I am looking for and to be honest bulletin
> boards are a bit 1980.  How do I associate an attribute I want rather than a
> random type?  How do I associate a material with bump or a bump map?
>
> Other than allow the program to do what it wants, how do I actually achieve
> anything with pov-ray?
>
> I know, search, done and the results are very hit and miss.  To be honest I
> cannot see the point of a render program with randomly associated material
> attributes.  Have a good day folks.

There are NO material attributes having any random attributes anywhere
unless you explicitely introduce some random elements in your
textures/materials. That "random" element is realy pseudo-random and the
results are reproductible. Even turbulence is pseudo-random. The ONE AND
ONY element of the finish that IS truly random, is crand. The only other
place where you can have any truly random factor, is when you use jitter
in an area_light, photons shooting, media sampling or antialiasing.

In POV-Ray, patterns, textures, materials are defined in 3D space and
your objects are "carved" from that. If you translate, scale or rotate
an object BEFORE you apply the material, the object will get transformed
relative to the material and it's aspect will change accordingly. If you
do the transformation AFTER the material is applyed, then, the material
will follow your object.

To apply some bumpyness, you should use the normals attribute to the
finish of the material. It can be in the form of a pattern or a user
provided image serving as a bump_map.

Source images, as image_map, are mapped from <0,0> to <1,1> on the X-Y
plane and repeated infinitely. They extend along the Z axis to infinity.
You need to scale them properly, and may need to rotate them if needed.

Most primitives DON'T use, nor support, UV mapping. Read the
documentation to learn whitch ones DO support UV mapping.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike1158
Date: 4 Mar 2014 10:35:01
Message: <web.5315f21944c7fa9ded800a5d0@news.povray.org>
I am using a model exported from sketchup.  I am not likely to go into
programming far enough to code all elements of a scene and by now quite
understand pov-ray is not a simple program to learn.  What I have also noticed
is that the documentaition is hardly easy reading either.

Not a whinge or rant just observing that this program seems targeted at the
1980's era coders who want to do eberything longhand.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 4 Mar 2014 12:19:53
Message: <53160b39$1@news.povray.org>

> I am using a model exported from sketchup.

   Then most likely the "random texturing" comes from the sketchup exporter.

> ... the documentaition is hardly easy reading either.

   Well, raytracing per se isn't an easy matter, so...

> Not a whinge or rant just observing that this program seems targeted
> at the 1980's era coders who want to do eberything longhand.

   Note that POV-Ray is just a renderer with an scene description
language, so to use it alone you have to code everything by hand.

   BTW, coders of any era do everything by hand, else they are not
coders.... ;)

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

From: Lawrence W
Date: 2 May 2014 13:05:01
Message: <web.5363d01d44c7fa9dae2ccffa0@news.povray.org>
Sorry to post a useless comment to this thread, but this thread is exactly why
I'm still interested in POV-Ray.  The OP was asking a question that could have
easily angered most users of POV-Ray and provoked them to nasty replies.  But
NO!  Those who answered his question did so calmly and with much patience and -
most importantly - with exceptionally clear answers!

I love POV-Ray, and even though I don't use it much these days, I still can.
Yes, it's not for those who depend on a GUI; it also requires a pretty good
grasp of calculus.  Nonetheless, for what it is, it's pretty awesome.  Even
better is that we have an awesome community that are knowledgeable, friendly,
and helpful for those that need it.  Thanks!