POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Possible new features? Server Time
9 May 2024 11:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Possible new features? (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Charles C
Subject: Re: Possible new features?
Date: 24 Nov 2007 13:15:48
Message: <47486a54@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Warp escribió:
>> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
>>> +Q0 is still slow for many scenes, and you can't do things like
>>> rotating the camera around the scene with a good framerate.
>>
>>   How is POV-Ray supposed to generate the preview if the objects are so
>> heavy to trace that even +Q0 is too slow?
>>

> GPU-rendered: Generate mesh once, rotate camera around it at 60fps.
>
> Raytraced at +Q0: just as slow (maybe many seconds) for each frame.

So that'd be basically a parse&convert by POV-Ray (to DirectX, Open GL
whatever), and then hand it over to a OS-specific side-app and/or
plug-in in which you could navigate a movable camera?  I imagine that
side-app could easily display some basic camera position information.
That sounds useful for checking overall geometry & positioning.  I'm
sure though that somebody will point out the difficulties related to
infinite surfaces and various precision-level choices, not to mention
just the undertaking of building in a converter generally.
Charles

Post a reply to this message

> not to mention just the undertaking of building in a converter
> generally.

Well, we can use this as a base:
http://www.daylongraphics.com/other/povray/patches/

(Hasn't been updated in 4 years)

And/or maybe this:
http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/imawww/thaller/wolfgang/vop-intro.html

(it's all Haskell, so probably we can only borrow ideas and not directly
code)

Post a reply to this message