POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HTML Frames? whassup? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  HTML Frames? whassup? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: gregjohn
Subject: HTML Frames? whassup?
Date: 17 Mar 2010 11:50:00
Message: <web.4ba0f9e86fcf5fa830bf98980@news.povray.org>
I was discussing HTML with someone who said a lot of people hate frames. He
suggested css div's.

 Can someone help me understand the objection.  Is it a question of tackiness--
maybe even snootiness that it's an "old" technique?  Or does it actually hamper
some users from accessing material?  In the scenario I'm thinking about it's
better to be tacky & universally accessible than bleeding edge.

Post a reply to this message

> Can someone help me understand the objection.  Is it a question of
> tackiness--
> maybe even snootiness that it's an "old" technique?  Or does it actually
> hamper
> some users from accessing material?  In the scenario I'm thinking about
> it's
> better to be tacky & universally accessible than bleeding edge.

It's impossible to bookmark the page or copy/send a link if any of the
frames have been changed (eg you followed a link inside a frame).

And I heard that search engines ignore them (as in totally ignore, you're
pages won't get indexed).

Post a reply to this message

>I was discussing HTML with someone who said a lot of people hate frames. He
> suggested css div's.
>
> Can someone help me understand the objection.  Is it a question of
> tackiness--
> maybe even snootiness that it's an "old" technique?  Or does it actually
> hamper
> some users from accessing material?  In the scenario I'm thinking about
> it's
> better to be tacky & universally accessible than bleeding edge.

The content in frames cannot be linked properly: it's either a link to the
home page or a link to the content frame itself (without the top and side
frames), so frames are awful for sharing stuff. In any case, most web
content is now database-generated on the fly so frames are no longer useful
(and css and div is the norm rather than bleeding edge today).

G.

Post a reply to this message