POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Loneliness Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Loneliness (Message 1 to 10 of 95)
From: Warp
Subject: Loneliness
Date: 29 Jan 2010 19:48:47
Message: <4b6381ef@news.povray.org>
I don't have an habit of making posts about my personal life, but I thought
it would be nice for a change to hear people's thoughts about the subject.
I think it's a problem which not many people are aware of, or pay much
attention to, because it doesn't afflict nor concern them. Basically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loneliness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love-shyness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_celibacy

  I think there's at least one person here who I can relate to.

  Some selected quotes from the above pages:

  "Chronic loneliness [...] is a serious, life-threatening condition. At
least one study has empirically correlated it with an increased risk
of cancer, especially for those who hide their loneliness from the
outside world. It is associated with increased risk of stroke and
cardiovascular disease. People who are socially isolated also report
poor sleep quality and thus have diminished restorative processes.
Loneliness is also linked with depression, a risk factor for suicide."

  "In 2005, results from the U.S. Framingham Heart Study demonstrated
that lonely men had raised levels of IL-6, a blood chemical linked to
heart disease. A 2006 study conducted by the Center for Cognitive and
Social Neuroscience at the University of Chicago found loneliness can
add 30 points to a blood pressure reading for adults over the age of 50."

  "A news article reporting on the study indicated that involuntary
celibacy can lead to anger and depression. [...] Involuntary celibacy
may also result in an affected individual experiencing an existential
crisis."

  "A minority of the younger love-shys had some feelings of optimism in
getting their problems fixed while all of the older love-shys felt
very pessimistic about their problems and also felt cynical about
women and the world in general. The older men expressed more anger in
their interviews while the younger men were calmer."

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message