POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Okay how *do* you design airport security? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Okay how *do* you design airport security? (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Okay how *do* you design airport security?
Date: 15 Jan 2010 08:10:00
Message: <web.4b50687d983c18fc34d207310@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>
> > Are you saying those who design airport security are dumb?
>
> No, just handicapped by politics and economics.
>
> In this world, rarely is the best technical solution the one that
> actually gets chosen. (Exhibit A: Betamax.)

I've seen a specific security measure, like, "Your FOO is going to be thoroughly
examined and you may only possess items measured less than BAR."  So everyone is
greatly inconvenienced with their FOO's and measuring things less than BAR.
This is maddening to me because crazy bad guys could still create mischief with
their non-FOO and with something of size less than BAR.  Given the possibility,
I believe it is a cynical  response-- motivated not by security of the
passengers but to avoid lawsuits-- to have the current level of inconveniences.
So, in this analysis, security measures are nowhere near tough enough.

I'm wondering what security measures would be in place after a century of
dealing with the bad guys pushing of the envelope.  Yes, do we use knockout gas
and transport people nude in plasteel bubbles, do we give up on the whole thing,
do we use Trek-style transporters?   For example, do we just have a spigot on
the back of the seat for drinking water, and ban all fluids of any size?

As for intelligence of transport authority figures, there is one story of a
guard having "discovered" someone guilty of "industrial espionage."  Turned out
it was a lame artist with a notebook full of cartoony sketches of cars he'd seen
in Europe, (cars available for sale to the public, ones for which the internet
had hundreds of online photos available to anyone, spy or no.)

Post a reply to this message

> I've seen a specific security measure, like, "Your FOO is going to be thoroughly
> examined and you may only possess items measured less than BAR."  So everyone is
> greatly inconvenienced with their FOO's and measuring things less than BAR.
> This is maddening to me because crazy bad guys could still create mischief with
> their non-FOO and with something of size less than BAR.  Given the possibility,
> I believe it is a cynical  response-- motivated not by security of the
> passengers but to avoid lawsuits-- to have the current level of inconveniences.
> So, in this analysis, security measures are nowhere near tough enough.

Ah yes, nobody is allowed more than 100 ml of liquid.

Becuase, you know, there's just no way that 100 ml of explosives could
possibly cause a devastating explosion. Or release a deadly nerve gas
and kill everyone on board. And there's no way that three suicide
bombers could all get on the same plane, each carrying 100 ml, together
making 300 ml in total. Or, for that matter, there's no way you could
hide more than 100 ml of liquid about your person without somebody noticing.

Oh, wait... I think my brain just switched back on.

> I'm wondering what security measures would be in place after a century of
> dealing with the bad guys pushing of the envelope.

I'm wondering why they don't put humans through the X-ray machine. I'm
guessing because then anybody who does a lot of travelling is going to
start receiving dangerous amounts of X-ray exposure over time... So
maybe we just need to invent a scanning technology that's less harmful.

Oh, wait. We already have several. Ultrasound, NMR, PET and so on. So
I'm guessing it's just too expensive or impractical. (Ultrasound
apparently requires close contact with the item to be scanned, or else
the item must be immersed in liquid. Neither is especially practical.)

Then again, for any given scanning technology, there is probably
something that's invisible to it. Ultrasound sees only changes in
density. X-rays can't see liquids, only dense solids. And so on.

The again, maybe we're looking at this all wrong. I mean, why the
obsession with airport security? Currently, anybody who feels like it
can nip down to their local friendly chemist, buy a few chemicals, mix
'em together, walk down the street to their location of choice and set
off a devastating explosion. And nobody will stop them. Indeed, it seems
utterly implausible that it's even physically *possible* to detect that
somebody is about to do this and try to stop them. They could be
anybody, anywhere, any day or night.

Then again, how many people actually do this? Not that many.

Interesting perspective: Road traffic accidents kill ten people PER DAY
in the UK, apparently. And yet I don't see anybody freaking out and
saying we need tougher controls on the roads...

Post a reply to this message

> Interesting perspective: Road traffic accidents kill ten people PER DAY
> in the UK, apparently. And yet I don't see anybody freaking out and
> saying we need tougher controls on the roads...

How many people die daily from "old age"? If anything, we should be freaking
over *that*.

Post a reply to this message

> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message

> > Interesting perspective: Road traffic accidents kill ten people PER DAY
> > in the UK, apparently. And yet I don't see anybody freaking out and
> > saying we need tougher controls on the roads...

> How many people die daily from "old age"? If anything, we should be freaking
> over *that*.

  There's a difference. Daying of old age is a natural cause.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> How many people die daily from "old age"? If anything, we should be
>> freaking
>> over *that*.
>
>  There's a difference. Daying of old age is a natural cause.

Unless the weather is a tiny bit hot or cold, then suddenly the media
attribute all those deaths to the weather ... "Freezing conditions kill 5000
people!"  "Heat wave kills thousands!"

Post a reply to this message

>   There's a difference. Daying of old age is a natural cause.

One could tenuously argue that dying of ebola is "natural causes"...

Post a reply to this message

> How many people die daily from "old age"? If anything, we should be freaking
> over *that*.

Ah, life. The ultimate sexually-transmitted disease...

Post a reply to this message