POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  GPU rendering (Message 81 to 90 of 175)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: GPU rendering
Date: 15 Jan 2010 14:47:06
Message: <4B50C63C.6050007@hotmail.com>
On 15-1-2010 2:40, nemesis wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> A path tracer sports physically correct rendering,
>>
>> Well, maybe "closer to physically correct rendering".
>
> yes.  In any case, I was pointing to andrel is that it's using the GPU
> power to raytrace with a typical raytracing algorithm, not using any
> fake scanline game tech.

And I wish you would stop that, because I know and there is no point
repeating the obvious.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Jan 2010 14:50:57
Message: <4B50C723.1030804@hotmail.com>
On 15-1-2010 16:40, Chambers wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Anyway, the best we can hope for is a continuation of POV along the
>> lines that we are currently following.
>
> No, the best we can hope for is the introduction of heterogenous arrays
> of processors whith automatic load balancing and sharing.
>
> Such processors would automatically vectorize the code run on them when
> appropriate; in other words, programs wouldn't need to be rewritten to
> use new libraries, they would just run faster.
>
> It's a similar concept to how out of order execution works; the
> processor examines the code, rearranges it and sends it to the various
> processing units as appropriate.
>
> ...Chambers
I agree. It was merely meant as a contrast to spending a lot of time now
to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user. The current
approach in the developing team is rather conservative and cautious, I
support that.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Jan 2010 15:13:56
Message: <4B50CC86.10300@hotmail.com>
On 15-1-2010 2:31, nemesis wrote:
> now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
> old fart! :D

Sabrina: My sincere apologies for having been the one who brought this
upon you. I should have realized that someone who did not understand
that 'dear' and 'sweetie' are inappropriate in this group, would also
not understand that it is not done to ask for personal information.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 15:35:01
Message: <web.4b50d13239d93b1b773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> On 15-1-2010 2:31, nemesis wrote:
> > now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
> > old fart! :D
>
> Sabrina: My sincere apologies for having been the one who brought this
> upon you. I should have realized that someone who did not understand
> that 'dear' and 'sweetie' are inappropriate in this group, would also
> not understand that it is not done to ask for personal information.

bit rusty that humor detector of yours, huh?

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 15:40:00
Message: <web.4b50d22a39d93b1b773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
> supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user.

GPU's are part of every computer nowadays whether you use them or not.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Jan 2010 16:11:18
Message: <4B50D9F7.5030605@hotmail.com>
On 15-1-2010 21:38, nemesis wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
>> supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user.
>
> GPU's are part of every computer nowadays whether you use them or not.

GPUs are, but do they support CUDA or similar*?
Of the three machines here that are on, one does (GeForce 8800GTS) one
doesn't (GeForce FX 5200) and one I don't know (a fairly recent HP laptop).

*) Actually the real question is: will they when you have finished your
port.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 15 Jan 2010 16:16:20
Message: <4B50DB26.2030005@hotmail.com>
On 15-1-2010 21:33, nemesis wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> On 15-1-2010 2:31, nemesis wrote:
>>> now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
>>> old fart! :D
>> Sabrina: My sincere apologies for having been the one who brought this
>> upon you. I should have realized that someone who did not understand
>> that 'dear' and 'sweetie' are inappropriate in this group, would also
>> not understand that it is not done to ask for personal information.
>
> bit rusty that humor detector of yours, huh?

I don't think so. I really think you should not have asked that. Whether
jokingly or not. I also know that I would feel uncomfortable when I
would have been in his place, so that is why I apologized for possibly
having caused that (whether he would have felt the same way is immaterial).

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 Jan 2010 21:38:55
Message: <4b5126bf$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 15-1-2010 2:31, nemesis wrote:
>> now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
>> old fart! :D
>
> Sabrina: My sincere apologies for having been the one who brought this
> upon you. I should have realized that someone who did not understand
> that 'dear' and 'sweetie' are inappropriate in this group, would also
> not understand that it is not done to ask for personal information.

Apology accepted, though not needed, andrel. I have heard much worse
then 'sweetie' and 'dear' in various MMOs. You learn more about a person
by the words they choose to address others by, and the same verbal
jujitsu works.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 16 Jan 2010 08:57:10
Message: <4b51c5b6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 15-1-2010 21:38, nemesis wrote:
>> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
>>> supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user.
>>
>> GPU's are part of every computer nowadays whether you use them or not.
>>

> GPUs are, but do they support CUDA or similar*?

they will once code is complete.  By the time povray 3.7 was started,
the thought of running raytracing on GPU was a distant dream.  Looks
like hardware evolves far faster than software.  You can certainly tell
that by how slow paradigms change and new languages with radically new
ideas flourish (motivated by hardware changes anyway)...

> Of the three machines here that are on, one does (GeForce 8800GTS) one
> doesn't (GeForce FX 5200) and one I don't know (a fairly recent HP laptop).

The first is the only one that counts, since it's the most recent (and
fairly old already BTW).  Laptops always use yesterday's technology.

We shouldn't have to wait for the iPhone to have a proper GPU to begin
any such coding...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 16 Jan 2010 08:59:55
Message: <4b51c65b@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> You learn more about a person
> by the words they choose to address others by

I hope you have learned that I'm a clown by heart.  I enjoy making
people laugh.