POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Jan 2010 08:57:10
Message: <4b51c5b6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 15-1-2010 21:38, nemesis wrote:
>> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
>>> supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user.
>>
>> GPU's are part of every computer nowadays whether you use them or not.
>>

> GPUs are, but do they support CUDA or similar*?

they will once code is complete.  By the time povray 3.7 was started,
the thought of running raytracing on GPU was a distant dream.  Looks
like hardware evolves far faster than software.  You can certainly tell
that by how slow paradigms change and new languages with radically new
ideas flourish (motivated by hardware changes anyway)...

> Of the three machines here that are on, one does (GeForce 8800GTS) one
> doesn't (GeForce FX 5200) and one I don't know (a fairly recent HP laptop).

The first is the only one that counts, since it's the most recent (and
fairly old already BTW).  Laptops always use yesterday's technology.

We shouldn't have to wait for the iPhone to have a proper GPU to begin
any such coding...