POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  GPU rendering (Message 56 to 65 of 175)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: GPU rendering
Date: 14 Jan 2010 23:43:36
Message: <4b4ff278$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> I was told by another povray local at an informal
> meeting in NYC, that he assumed Sabrina was just another strange
> sounding masculine European name.

Even the Goons knew of her.

http://www.goon.org/usgoons/sabrina/

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jan 2010 23:44:16
Message: <4b4ff2a0$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
 > perhaps this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_tracing

Let me know when Schrodenger's equations come into the ray tracing calcs. ;-)

> took 100 Sun SparcStation1s 1 month back in 1991 to generate the most
> expensive (but beautiful) cornell box of sorts ever! :D

To be fair, that's 100 1 MHz computers for 30 days, or 1 3GHz computer for 1
day. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

> light transport is hard enough without taking in consideration light's
> dual nature. :P

Light doesn't really have a "dual" nature, but we've been thru that already. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do
   I get "focus follows gaze"?

Post a reply to this message

> > I was told by another povray local at an informal
> > meeting in NYC, that he assumed Sabrina was just another strange
> > sounding masculine European name.
>

> Even the Goons knew of her.
>
> http://www.goon.org/usgoons/sabrina/

ZOMG, are those for real?!

it's a beautiful name, I love ones with S or V.  My daughter is Vanessa. ^_^

Post a reply to this message

>>> I was told by another povray local at an informal
>>> meeting in NYC, that he assumed Sabrina was just another strange
>>> sounding masculine European name.

>> Even the Goons knew of her.
>>
>> http://www.goon.org/usgoons/sabrina/
>
> ZOMG, are those for real?!
>

> it's a beautiful name, I love ones with S or V.  My daughter is Vanessa. ^_^

It is and Vanessa is too. Did you know that Vanessa was coined by
Jonathan Swift who wrote Gulliver's Travels?

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Jan 2010 04:13:12
Message: <4b5031a8$1@news.povray.org>
> which is why I'm suggesting looking only at this tiny part for the change.
> Tiny or not, it's 90% more useful for general 3D artists than all perfect
> spheres or math surfaces.

Sure, which is why there are loads of triangle-only raytracers out there
with all sorts of fancy options and rendering techniques.  This is not what
POV is though.

> Would you not enjoy povray to go wildly popular?  Do you prefer it to be
> this geek niche?  Popularity would also bring more contributing
> developers, I guess...

Yes, I think most of us here prefer it being the only niche raytracer with
support for such a good SDL (scripting, primitives, texturing etc).  I think
everyone would be sad if POV was overrun by new developers who just wanted
mesh tracing speed, POV and SDL would get lost in the sea of
mesh-tracing-clones out there.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 09:50:31
Message: <4b5080b7@news.povray.org>
Stephen escreveu:
> It is and Vanessa is too. Did you know that Vanessa was coined by
> Jonathan Swift who wrote Gulliver's Travels?

Thanks.  Yes, I've searched for the meaning already.  Mine comes from
the Lionheart King. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 09:51:22
Message: <4b5080ea@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian escreveu:
> nemesis wrote:
>> http://www.myspace.com/cannibalporn
>>
>> ZOMG, your teh cute! :D
>>

>> kiddin... ^^;
>
> Just a few years back, the only Sabrina Kilian on google was a russian
> ice skater. Now, wow, my name has become popular.
>
> But no, not me.

yes, I guessed that emo doll wouldn't likely be you. :)

From: Chambers
Date: 15 Jan 2010 10:33:47
Message: <4b508adb$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> So that means povray will be the slowest raytracer around, is that
> right?  Good Lord, it's sad that 3.7 is not out yet and it was once one
> of the fastest and first raytracers to go multicore... now it's being
> beaten by unbiased renderers!

I can't recall POV-Ray ever being one of the fastest raytracers around.
  Everyone else is willing to make sacrifices concerning accuracy in
order to speed up rendering (for instance, only accepting triangles).

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 15 Jan 2010 10:43:43
Message: <4b508d2f$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Anyway, the best we can hope for is a continuation of POV along the
> lines that we are currently following.

No, the best we can hope for is the introduction of heterogenous arrays
of processors whith automatic load balancing and sharing.

Such processors would automatically vectorize the code run on them when
appropriate; in other words, programs wouldn't need to be rewritten to
use new libraries, they would just run faster.

It's a similar concept to how out of order execution works; the
processor examines the code, rearranges it and sends it to the various
processing units as appropriate.

...Chambers