POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Jan 2010 10:43:43
Message: <4b508d2f$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Anyway, the best we can hope for is a continuation of POV along the
> lines that we are currently following.

No, the best we can hope for is the introduction of heterogenous arrays
of processors whith automatic load balancing and sharing.

Such processors would automatically vectorize the code run on them when
appropriate; in other words, programs wouldn't need to be rewritten to
use new libraries, they would just run faster.

It's a similar concept to how out of order execution works; the
processor examines the code, rearranges it and sends it to the various
processing units as appropriate.

...Chambers