POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  GPU rendering (Message 51 to 60 of 175)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: GPU rendering
Date: 14 Jan 2010 19:52:48
Message: <4b4fbc60$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> A path tracer sports physically correct rendering,
>
>> Well, maybe "closer to physically correct rendering".  Let me know when you
>> have a ray tracer that supports creating diffraction gratings without cheating.
>
>   I won't consider a renderer "physically correct" until you create a
> scene to replicate the double-slit experiment and the renderer gives the
> correct image.

light transport is hard enough without taking in consideration light's
dual nature. :P

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 14 Jan 2010 19:54:43
Message: <4b4fbcd3$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> How do you suggest that the ray-tracing part separates the object that
>> it intersects? Without a complete overhaul, it will have to support all
>> of the objects that POV-Ray supports. Otherwise, you have to decide at
>> the time the ray hits an object whether you process that on the GPU or
>> CPU. Then, what do you gain by offloading just the triangle and sphere
>> code to the GPU?
>
> How about this:  a -gpu flag to povray?  People turn it on when they
> want to indicate a complete mesh-only scene to be run on GPU.  The
> parser then simply ignores whatever other povray primitives are there.

Considering I got stuck writing the parser in every undergrad class I
had, I am going with no. Maybe as a last resort.

> now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
> old fart! :D

Neither.

Post a reply to this message