POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unity game development tool now free Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Unity game development tool now free (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rune
Subject: Unity game development tool now free
Date: 12 Dec 2009 19:45:00
Message: <web.4b243800ed507475fd4658040@news.povray.org>
Hi,

--- Shameless plug post ---

Though I'm not active in the POV-Ray newsgroups anymore, I thought I'd pop in
and say that the game engine / development tool made by the company I work for
was made free about a month ago. If you have any desire or dream of making
computer games, it's really worth checking out:

http://unity3d.com

There's still a paid Pro version with a few extra features, but the free version
is fully functional, time-unlimited, and you can do whatever you want with the
games you make with it, such as selling them.

I think Unity can appeal a lot to POV-Ray users. I originally learned to program
with POV-Ray. I started writing just static scenes; then I began using
conditionals and loops, and suddenly I was doing complicated programming!

Unity is much the same: We have lots of people in the Unity community who are
starting out using the tool without any prior programming experience, but they
get by because a lot of basic things are very easy to do with the tool, and
there's a lot of code snippets and classes shared in the community that can go a
long way. And gradually they are learning programming by using Unity.

Unity can also make games that can run directly in the browser using a plug-in
(on Mac and Windows, all major browsers). Here's a couple of my favorite small
games:

http://puzzlebloom.com/
Great-loking puzzle game. This was made as a student game production by a small
team (about 12 people I think) in just one month.

http://www.sophiehoulden.com/games/boxgame/
Very interesting gravity-changing puzzle game made by one girl (though a few
more people worked on the prototype).

http://blurst.com/
FlashBang Studios also have a lot of neat, bizarre, action-oriented games at
their Blurst website, including the game "Off-Road Velociraptor Safari".

If you do give Unity a try, look for the new build-in animation editor in the
latest version - it was developed by me. :)

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message