POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Bad science fiction (Message 1 to 10 of 107)
From: Darren New
Subject: Bad science fiction
Date: 13 Oct 2009 14:06:17
Message: <4ad4c199$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/why_i_hate_star_trek.html

This pretty much says why I consider science fiction to only be that where
you couldn't write the story without the technology. Could Star Trek be
written as a western or a Spanish Armada kind of story? Yes. Could
Ringworld? Not hardly.

If you can still tell the story without the technology, it's not SF. Oddly
enough, most of the original Star Trek series that people liked the best
(say, the one with the Horta) were ones where you couldn't take out the tech
and tell the same story.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)