POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 13 Oct 2009 16:40:56
Message: <4ad4e5d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/13/09 13:06, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/why_i_hate_star_trek.html
>
> This pretty much says why I consider science fiction to only be that
> where you couldn't write the story without the technology. Could Star
> Trek be written as a western or a Spanish Armada kind of story? Yes.
> Could Ringworld? Not hardly.

	What about something like Asimov's Foundation?

	I've watched very few of the Star Trek series, but have seen all the
movies. Can't remember all the plots, though, but technology certainly
plays a major role in some of them.

	What about stories where they talk about different races (aliens) whose
behavior is quite different from ours (due to genetic makeup or
whatever), and a big part of the story is exploring how their culture
evolved differently from ours? It's hard for me not to consider them as
SF. Or about aliens who live in planets where, due to the type of
geography, results in quite a different culture, and the story is
exploring that difference (e.g. Asimov's Nightfall, or Heinlein's Universe).

	Some stories use technology as a tool for the plot in the above. Such
as genetic manipulations of humans to achieve those effects. Or
artificially generated biospheres. But that's really as good as looking
at an alien species in another planet. The technology isn't really
necessary. Yet, most people would consider them as SF stories.

--
Ground yourself, THEN hug your motherboard!