POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Oct 2009 16:55:15
Message: <4ad4e933$1@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure "Devil In The Dark" is the best example of the point...
> the only important technology to the plot were A) what the miners were
> digging for, and B) the silicon cement used to bandage the Horta.

Well, my point was that you couldn't tell the story without an alien
creature that lives in solid rock. Granted, you could set such a thing in an
old coal mine, but you couldn't substitute a person for the Horta and tell
the same story.

> I think if you gave a logical enough explanation for how a silicon based
> life form could exist (and in Wales, no less) and let the telepathy go as an
> unexplained-but-taken-for-granted miracle (as it is in Star Trek) it would
> be still be science fiction. No gadgets, but still scientific.

Sure, that works too. The point is whether you can tell the same story in a
mundane setting, not whether it's "science" or "technology" that does the
trick.

Most of Star Trek wasn't about the technology and how it affected people. I
suppose the episodes of the holodeck taking over or something would be hard
to tell without the holodeck. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)