POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US ZIP Codes and SSN's Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  US ZIP Codes and SSN's (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: US ZIP Codes and SSN's
Date: 20 Aug 2009 14:01:25
Message: <4a8d8f75$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Yeah, I read the story Greg referred to on /. as well, that SSNs might
>> be "predictable" if you know certain pieces of information about a
>> person - where they were born, when they were born, etc.
>
> That's like predicting who's going to get a winning lottery ticket based
> on knowing when & where they buy tickets, isn't it?

Why? SSNs were started before computers were invented, so each office got a
batch of prefixes and an algorithm for using them. You couldn't do the
"allocate sequentially" algorithm when Social Security was invented.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

>> That's like predicting who's going to get a winning lottery ticket
>> based on knowing when & where they buy tickets, isn't it?
>
> Why? SSNs were started before computers were invented, so each office
> got a batch of prefixes and an algorithm for using them. You couldn't do
> the "allocate sequentially" algorithm when Social Security was invented.

Why can't you allocate sequentially by hand?  It's not like counting is
hard.

"OK, Washington State is going to get the batch 542-XX-XXXX."

"Alright, now the Olympia SSA Office gets numbers 542-00-XXXX through
542-29-XXXX, Seattle gets 542-30-XXXX through 542-49-XXXX, Spokane gets
542-50-XXXX through 542-69-XXXX, ..."

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message