POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Passion of the Christ (Message 111 to 120 of 145)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Passion of the Christ
Date: 12 Jun 2009 16:56:20
Message: <4a32c0f4@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> These days, I tend more towards agnosticism probably more than anything.
> I'm not prepared to say there *definitely* is nothing more than this
> existence, I think there is a lot about life we don't know.  <shrug>  I'm
> also not particularly bothered by uncertainty, though, and that's a hard
> thing for most people.  That's part of the reason some (not all) who are
> religious/deeply devout/whatever grab onto a religion - because it
> provides some certainty in an otherwise uncertain world.

You might be surprised to know that most atheists I know are atheist to
the "existing" definitions of gods, but fall all over the line with
respect to how "likely" it is that there is more to the universe, and
what that even "means".

> I really wonder what you have been exposed to of people who are truly
> spiritual.  I realise how that sounds, but it sounds to me like you've
> had a slew of bad experiences and very few good ones.

I Really wonder if you haven't just got "very" lucky. There are, even in
some of the craziest parts, of the US, pockets of liberal thinking,
where this isn't uncommon. Mind, it can also be noted that "most" of the
radical types have never been exposed to alternate views, wouldn't let
themselves, if they knew from day one what someone's position actually
was, and are more than willing to, when confronted with a real person,
stick them in the category, "Well, this guy isn't so bad, unlike all the
other ones that believe that way."

Its the one category of thought I left out, and it doesn't alter the
reality of how they react "as a group" to outsiders, just how they react
to the ones they know personally. I can see some of the same thinking in
members of my own family. If you are in category A, then you are B,
unless I know you personally, then you get to be in category C. Its a
defense mechanism for some people. If you can conclude that someone is
"not like all the others in that 'other' group", then you can still hold
the same views about the group, without challenging all your views.

True radicals would never allow this, since "most" people have a problem
"not" questioning some of the things they assume about other
groups/ideas, when dealing with real people that hold them. It depends
on how good their mental blinders are. Most, just never allow themselves
to have to make such self examinations. But, the problem isn't really
the number of people that "can" do that. Its the fact that those same
people will, all too often, send money to, or indirectly support, those
that deny even the "possibility" of such mutual respect.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jun 2009 18:16:53
Message: <4a32d3d5$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You might be surprised to know that most atheists I know are atheist to
> the "existing" definitions of gods, but fall all over the line with
> respect to how "likely" it is that there is more to the universe, and
> what that even "means".

Here's a thought. I wonder what atheists would say to the question:

"Do you believe that if there is life elsewhere in the universe, it might
have been designed by a higher intelligence?"

Given how many atheists say things like "I don't believe in God because
there's just no evidence in favor", I wonder how many people would answer
which way.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Jun 2009 20:35:27
Message: <4a32f44f$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:42:51 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> "In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S.
> natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of
> God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human
> beings).

Arguably that's a different definition than many who even attend church
might use.  Some Christian faiths use the phrasing "a personal God", but
some don't.

I wonder what the percentage is of churchgoing scientists, irrespective
of how they define "god".

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Jun 2009 21:39:45
Message: <4a330361@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:33:52 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>>> And, all of them would have a century ago. This doesn't mean much.
>>
>> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
>>
> Just that argument ad populum is all you are talking about when
> discussing how "some people believe in blah". It doesn't make the belief
> valid, or supportable. Yet, its too often presented as, "Some of group X
> believe the absurd, and nearly all of group Y, so we should treat it as
> a valid view point."

Um, no, I'm not presenting it as "we should treat it as a valid view
point", but in trying to understand how someone could come to a different
conclusion, it's important to shift one's point of view to match that of
the person you're trying to understand - assuming that understanding is
what you're trying to achieve.

>> That's only true if one holds the point of view you hold.  In order to
>> understand it, you have to step out of your own frame of reference and
>> look at it from a different perspective.  That can be very difficult to
>> do, admittedly, but it's not impossible.
>>
> No, its true from the evidence. Viewpoints are **opinion** not fact.
> Facts rise or fall based on what works, and is feasible. Opinions rise
> and fall based **solely** one how many people hold them.

But how people view and experience the world is the thing that matters to
a lot of people.  I don't dispute that facts are important, but opinions
are important as well, because the way one sees the world shapes how one
interacts with it.  Even someone with your point of view interacts with
the world based on the opinions you have formed from the facts you've
determined are true.  Arguably, someone who holds your particular set of
beliefs (for lack of a better word) is more likely to adjust based on new
evidence than someone who has a very strong faith-based view of the
world.  But who's to say that that faith-based view of the world is
invalid for someone for whom it works for?

>>> True, but again, they are almost totally pointless interpretations,
>>
>> See my above comment about stepping out of your own frame of reference.
>>
> No, I can see how they come to those conclusions, I just can't agree
> with them.

Agreement isn't required.  Understanding isn't either, for that matter,
but I have found that understanding how someone with an alternative
viewpoint arrived at that conclusion leads to an understanding of how to
interact with that person in a constructive way.  I've found this to be
an incredibly valuable skill to use given that many of the people I work
with professionally have strong personal religious faith.  Even for those
whom I don't discuss religion with (which is most of them), knowing the
common set of experiences that they go through every week when they go to
church (for example) helps me understand how to motivate them and get
what I need from them.

>>> And, such people, when they find their ideas being sidelined, get
>>> really pissy about it,
>>
>> That happens even with rationalists, too.  The "punishment" tends to be
>> ridicule rather than more the extreme punishments you outline for the
>> "modern fundies", but the reaction is quite similar.
>>
> That is because, quite frankly, discussion has been *tried*, and its
> either been undermined, often with the complicity of the people
> supposedly providing the forum of discussion, usually against hard
> liners from the other side, who are "impervious" to factual information,
> and moderates, of the sort that "might" be swayed either a) refuse to
> see how ridiculous the people they defend make **them** look, or b)
> don't think the issues matter enough to do anything about them.

Sometimes yes, people who have strong religious faith react badly when
they're told that they're not being rational.  How do you react when
someone tells you you're talking nonsense when you're talking about
something that you have a strong personal investment in it?  What I find
is that the presentation coming from someone with a point of view often
is not handled very tactfully.  Understand that for people of strong
religious faith, when you start trying to prove that their view is wrong,
that is often perceived as an attack on the foundations of everything
they have built their life upon.

No matter how you slice it or what you believe, having the foundations of
everything you believe in attacked by someone you hardly know (or even
someone you know really well, though the latter is generally received
better) is hard to perceive as anything but an attack on their character
- even if it's not intended that way.

But I'd also point out that "discussion has been tried" doesn't equate to
"discussion has been tried with all of them" - some people it's futile to
discuss with, others are more receptive.  Each situation is unique.

> In other words, in the last half century we have gone from trusting, or
> at least semi-respecting the first person in the following linked comic,
> and now would rather hand the last one in it a TV show, like Oprah, and
> peddle tin foil hats, because opinion is king, feel good gibberish is
> better than statistics, and you can trust a multi-billion dollar
> business called "the church", or "homeopathy", more than an underpaid
> scientist trying to work out how the brain really works, or the FDA's
> vetting of real drugs.
>
> http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd051809s.gif

I like the comic; it explains something I've been saying for a long time
for a very long time.  What's considered "reputable news sources" (ie,
broadcast news media, newspapers, etc) tend to try to do the thinking for
us.  I prefer my news unfiltered, because I'm an intelligent human being
capable of forming my own opinions based on the facts.

That said, I don't think the problem is not failing to trust the first
person in the cycle.  The problem is the mutations to what the first
person in the cycle discovers by all the intermediate steps.  It's like
the telephone game all over again.  Somehow in the US (and I might go so
far to say "in western society"), we've shifted to believing the loudest
voice, and the loudest voice tends to be the one with the most coverage
(based on distribution, Nielsen ratings, etc).

But this is a bit of a shift in the discussion we're having as well,
because it doesn't really tie into religious faith - it's more closely
related to generic belief.  Not that the two are entirely dissimilar,
mind.

>>> Umm. Hardly.
>>
>> I've seen it time and again in various religious discussions, so
>> please, don't tell me it doesn't happen.  It does.  Maybe not every
>> time, but I'm not outlining something that happens in every discussion,
>> just something that in my experience happens a lot of the time in the
>> discussions I participate in.
>>
> Well, if/when it happens, its probably someone fed up with the need to
> point out all 50,000 things that fall into that category. At the least,
> some places won't let you post more than one of them.

The counter to that "individual things" often ends up being "you have to
take the whole thing".  Part of the reason for that is that you're trying
to change the opinion of someone who doesn't want their opinion to be
changed.  They're just as frustrated as you - again, it comes back to
that point about "attacking" the foundation of the something they've
built their entire life around.  That's not something that should be seen
to be being treated lightly or with ridicule - you might as well be
calling them "stupid" or worse - and we all know where that leads.

>>> Hmm. Yeah. Met some of the extremists on my side the other day. I
>>> think they laughed at someone, then bought a copy of Skeptical
>>> Enquirer. It was horrifying! lol Seriously though, this isn't entirely
>>> accurate. The problem here is delusional thinking, not specifically
>>> religion, and the "extremists" on the side against religion tend to
>>> trade belief different gibberish for what "would have been" religion.
>>
>> Again, I've seen extreme positions taken on both sides of the debate,
>> from the self-proclaimed rationalist side, this tends to take the form
>> of extreme ridicule rather than the proclamation of something like a
>> fatwah.  But it does happen, and again, I've seen it over and over in
>> discussions I've participated in over the years.
>>

> Again, there is a reason for using ridicule. Its the last resort when
> dealing with people you realize will **never** play fair, in the hopes
> that embarrassing them enough will get them to rethink their position.

That never, in my experience works.  The last resort when dealing with
people who won't play fair is to walk away.  Logically, upon being
ridiculed, the vast majority of deeply religious people aren't going to
suddenly say "gee, you're right, I've been stupid".  They're going to dig
in their defenses.  At the point at which they become defensive, they
have stopped listening to what you're saying, and you're just wasting
your time trying to change their view.

> Mind, this is hardly needed, since all you have to do is look at
> interviews by people like Casey Luskin to realize that they embarrass
> themselves more than we ever could.

Sure.  Why do you think I walked away from two recent discussions here
after one response to the initiator of the thread? ;-)  It's the same
principle.  I'm not going to change that individuals mind, and ultimately
it's my opinion that that person does more damage to themselves than I
could ever do by continuing to respond in kind.  Add to that that I
honestly don't care if he makes a fool of himself or not, what exactly is
my motivation to *try* to make him look foolish again?  He's already
doing a far better job than I ever could do.

(And apologies to Chris if the above paragraph is perceived a personal
attack against another member here; that's not my intent, but rather it's
my intent to use a recent example that's a common experience between
myself and Patrick as a point of illustration in this conversation.)

> The problem though is, from the
> perspective of most of the people "inside" such groups, wearing a red
> nose and floppy shoes **isn't** ridiculous, though they know, on some
> level, that other people think its silly, and we keep having to point
> out to people that,

well, no, there is no need to point it out.  It's why I get tired of
hearing the jokes about Mormon "magic underwear".  That's really been
overdone, and even as someone who doesn't believe that set of beliefs, it
gets old fast to be associated with it because I happen to live in Utah.
It's really an unnecessary cheap shot that says more about the character
of the person making it than it does about the people who *actually*
believe it, which in my experience, isn't many.

> We are dealing with people that want to be seen as a) legitimate, b)
> scientific, c) fact based, and d) defenders of the faith,

A vast number of them don't care if you (generic "you" here, not you
personally) think they're legitimate.  Speaking about the ones I live
around, they're secure enough in their beliefs that what you or I think
about them isn't important.  There of course always will be those who do
care; personally, I think that speaks a lot about their own insecurities
in their faith, and maybe they need to examine their faith more closely.
But that's gotta come from within.

It's similar to the view I hold about gay marriage.  Those who say that
marriage should "be between a man and a woman" and that they're
"defending marriage", in my opinion, need to look at their own
relationship and see why it is that they believe the idea of two members
of the same sex getting married would fundamentally change their own
relationship.  I'm not going to get "gay married", but if two men or two
women want to get married, I'm not going to love my wife any less than I
do now.

> but are a)
> paid shills, b) don't even understand the science, c) dogma based, and
> d) make their own religion look even more absurd than it does without
> them.

That's their choice to make, though.

> And, most of the US population a) think religion "is" a legitimate
> answer to almost any problem, b) think that science means "make a guess,
> then if it seems to work, call it science, even if you can't reproduce
> the result, c) think that anecdotes and personal experiences are
> evidence and d) are Christians, so... pretty much by definition, presume
> that someone, someplace, is "supposed to be" persecuting them.

You can't control how other people react to the world around them.  If it
works for them, then it works for them.  A personal example:  my mom went
through some horrible, horrible abuse when she was a child - and add to
that a constant attack on her character as a person, constantly being
told she was dumb and would never amount to anything.  It took her nearly
65 years to even be able to talk about it.  She turned to her pastor, and
the discussions they had helped her learn - after over 60 years - to cope
with what she went through and begin to deal with it.

She believes that the church helped her and helped her get past a
terribly painful part of her life.  She came out of that counseling a new
person, much more confident in her abilities, more more willing to speak
up when something wasn't right, and much better able to cope with life
after my father passed away a few years ago.

So who am I to tell her that her religion is based on a lie and that
organized religious entities are a cancer on society (or whatever
euphemism you want to use)?  I personally think that organized religion
is a crock, but my perspective was formed from working "backstage" during
religious services for years as a teen and young adult and seeing the
politics of the leaders in the church - the same church my mom still is a
member of - I grew up in.  To me, it's all just a big show.  To my mom,
it's the foundation of her life.  She knows it isn't all true, but she
doesn't care much about that; it helped her and for that she (and I for
that matter, even as an ex-member) will always be grateful.

> How would you suggest dealing with the radicals who, over the last 50
> years, have grown in size, influence and power, while the rationalists
> opted to use discussion, science publishing, and catering to the
> "moderate allies", to fight back? The old way lost us ground.

That's a harder question to answer.  When it comes to religious beliefs
in politics, ultimately it comes down to money.  Religious organizations
have an immense power to pull in money.  The LDS Church more or less
demands a 10% tithe every year, or you fall out of the good graces of the
church.  TIME Magazine did an analysis a few years ago of the LDS
Church's holdings, and it was quite incredible.

> And the
> key reason is that the middle grounders may, this week, insist that
> there isn't anything wrong with evolution, but there **is** some huge
> problem with cosmology. Next week, as soon as we imagine that is cleared
> up, some other moderate we get as an ally turns out to be a firm
> defender of astrophysics, but thinks Intelligent Design is a plausible
> replacement for Evolution. Such "allies" have, in the past, done nothing
> so much as stick a foot out to trip the scientific world,

Logically, if the scientific principles are sound, then it shouldn't trip
the scientific world up too badly.  Either that or the premise has a flaw
in it, no?

> So, if the guy in the clown suit screams, "Heh, stop taking about how
> silly my shoes are!", every time you point out that squirt flowers don't
> explain plate tectonics.. What is the point of not just saying, "OK,
> have it your way. Not only are you wrong about your squirt flower
> theory, but those shoes make you look like an idiot!"

More to the point, what is the point of saying it?  It accomplishes
nothing - those who think the clown looks ridiculous will still think the
clown looks ridiculous, those who think the clown is sane will continue
to think the clown looks sane, and both groups are likely to think that
you're a mean-spirited person who couldn't remain civil.  The clown wins
(by being able to count on sympathy), the believers win (because their
belief that the rest of the world is a messed up place is reinforced),
the non-believers win (arguably because you've pointed out the emperor
has no clothes, but to them that was bloody obvious already so you
haven't shown them anything new), and you've lost by tarnishing your own
reputation by behaving in an uncivilized manner.

That's why often walking away is the best option.  As someone wise once
said, "it's sometimes better to be silent and be thought a fool than to
open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Jun 2009 22:00:57
Message: <4a330859@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:56:19 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> These days, I tend more towards agnosticism probably more than
>> anything. I'm not prepared to say there *definitely* is nothing more
>> than this existence, I think there is a lot about life we don't know.
>> <shrug>  I'm also not particularly bothered by uncertainty, though, and
>> that's a hard thing for most people.  That's part of the reason some
>> (not all) who are religious/deeply devout/whatever grab onto a religion
>> - because it provides some certainty in an otherwise uncertain world.
>>
> You might be surprised to know that most atheists I know are atheist to
> the "existing" definitions of gods, but fall all over the line with
> respect to how "likely" it is that there is more to the universe, and
> what that even "means".

I am surprised by that, actually.  I appreciate you sharing that idea
with me.

>> I really wonder what you have been exposed to of people who are truly
>> spiritual.  I realise how that sounds, but it sounds to me like you've
>> had a slew of bad experiences and very few good ones.
>>
> I Really wonder if you haven't just got "very" lucky.

I would doubt that very much.  I live in Utah (a liberal part of Salt
Lake County), but my office is in Utah County, which is one of the most
politically conservative parts of the state.  While I work from home
probably 9 days out of 10 on average, there was a time I made the 45
minute drive into the office every day.

More to the point, though, I spent 18 months as a traveling instructor -
in that time, I had a broad exposure to many different ways of thinking
on both ends of the political spectrum.

I also have good friends (some devoutly religious, some not) in pretty
much all parts of the world.  Professionally, I work with people in
pretty much every country where technology has taken hold.  While I don't
have this kind of conversation with all of the people I work with (some I
work with as a business partner, and it would be inappropriate unless I
had a personal friendship with them as well), I've kinda sought out those
different experiences in order to broaden my own world view.

I've traveled not extensively, but to a fair number of places in the
world where the perspective on life is very different.  The former USSR
(Moscow, Kiev, Leningrad).  Mexico (and not just Mexico City, in fact I
hardly spent any time there, and while I did go to Puerto Vallarta for a
few days, most of where I went in Mexico was smaller non-tourist towns).
England, Scotland, the Bahamas (where I did get to see the real living
conditions and not just the casino in Nassau), Bermuda (again, going to
different parts of the island away from the tourist places - I hate the
touristy kind of places when I travel, because I hate crowds - and I have
a dislike for what American tourists have done to tarnish the way
Americans are perceived around the world).

I have had the opportunity to talk about religion with people in India
(as my company has an office in Bangalore and rotates engineers in from
that office to Utah, I've gotten to know quite a few).  One thing I
learned from talking to someone in India was how really lucky we are in
the US to be able to chose our employment.  One engineer I talked to
expressed a very different world view to that based on his own
experiences - he considers himself extremely lucky to have landed a well-
paying job, but software engineering isn't his passion - it's just what
he happens to be good at and what he was able to study in order to be
able to provide for his family.  It literally was either become a
software engineer or live in poverty - and not the kind of poverty we
have in the US; *real* poverty, like a house with no roof, no indoor
plumbing, etc.  I probably have the chat session recording somewhere on
my system (I keep them all) - it's been a few years and I forget exactly
how he said it, but it was a real eye-opening conversation.

> radical types have never been exposed to alternate views, wouldn't let
> themselves, if they knew from day one what someone's position actually
> was, and are more than willing to, when confronted with a real person,
> stick them in the category, "Well, this guy isn't so bad, unlike all the
> other ones that believe that way."

Yep.  But that happens on both sides of the conversation, too.  I've
heard rationalists say the same sorts of things - and some pre-judge
religious people before getting to know them.  It's a shame when that
happens, because there's a lot both sides could learn from the other side.

> True radicals would never allow this, since "most" people have a problem
> "not" questioning some of the things they assume about other
> groups/ideas, when dealing with real people that hold them.

Indeed this is true.  Part of the reason people have a problem not
questioning things they assume about others is because of the
differences.  In general, asking the questions isn't a problem, it's HOW
you ask the questions.

> It depends
> on how good their mental blinders are. Most, just never allow themselves
> to have to make such self examinations.

I don't think it's a question of allowing themselves to, I think it's
more a question of never considering that they should.  Sometimes that's
indoctrinated as part of the religious studies (we tend to associate that
with cults, but it happens in mainstream religions as well), but
sometimes it just never honestly occurs to them that they should because
they are happy and contented with where they are.

For some people, life isn't a journey of discovery (self-discovery or
other), but rather a chance to have some fun.  It's like a guy in another
department where I work who doesn't care if he has this job or not.  The
job is for him to have toy money so he can play; he and his wife operate
an outsourcing business that brings in the real income and will for the
next 20 years plus because of the contracts they've negotiated.  From
talking with people who know him, he's here to have a good time.  There's
really nothing wrong with that.

> But, the problem isn't really
> the number of people that "can" do that. Its the fact that those same
> people will, all too often, send money to, or indirectly support, those
> that deny even the "possibility" of such mutual respect.

Sometimes it's not a question of supporting (directly or indirectly) the
bad part, but supporting the good part.  I have a friend who, in her
first marriage, was in an LDS marriage, full temple ceremony, "bonded for
life" etc.  The relationship was abusive (not physically, but emotionally
and mentally) and she got out after 10+ years of this.  Her father is an
LDS bishop.  She renounced her membership in the church (had to threaten
legal action to have them remove her name from the rolls) because she
wanted to have nothing to do with them.  But at the same time, she still
supports those who go on what are called "service missions" because they
DO good works around the world, helping the poor and needy build a better
life.  Projects like that *should* be supported and it doesn't matter
what organization is doing it.  The world needs more people doing for
others, regardless of religion.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Date: 12 Jun 2009 23:00:02
Message: <4a331632$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Here's a thought. I wonder what atheists would say to the question:
>
> "Do you believe that if there is life elsewhere in the universe, it
> might have been designed by a higher intelligence?"

As an atheist: Sure, might have been.

> Given how many atheists say things like "I don't believe in God because
> there's just no evidence in favor", I wonder how many people would
> answer which way.

The clearest "explanation" I can give for atheism is this: an atheist
hasn't started with the assumption that God exists. He has instead
examined the accounts of his (and perhaps other's) culture's predominant
gods and found the accounts unconvincing.

When I was a kid, and not an atheist, I did start with the assumption
that God exists. I concluded, based on this assumption, that any parts
of the Bible which couldn't be historically accurate *must* have been
parables or mistakes made by the human authors through whom God was
working. It was only after I realized I was putting the cart before the
horse that I examined the Bible as I would an account of any other event.

It's very easy to find evidence for what you already believe in, be that
aliens, ghosts, reincarnation, or "lost" people living underground.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 13 Jun 2009 04:25:29
Message: <4A33627A.3@hotmail.com>
On 13-6-2009 0:16, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> You might be surprised to know that most atheists I know are atheist
>> to the "existing" definitions of gods, but fall all over the line with
>> respect to how "likely" it is that there is more to the universe, and
>> what that even "means".
>
> Here's a thought. I wonder what atheists would say to the question:
>
> "Do you believe that if there is life elsewhere in the universe, it
> might have been designed by a higher intelligence?"

Well, as the human species we are going to design life somewhere within
a few decades, depending on your definition of life. I have problems
with a definition of 'higher' (as 'equal' seems sufficient) and I am not
sure if there is life elsewhere in the universe. Other than that my
answer is yes, but it gives you no useful information.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jun 2009 10:20:03
Message: <15d7359o6vior9036c3u1u0vvg80osg1gu@4ax.com>

Maybe, as andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Well, as the human species we are going to design life somewhere within
>a few decades, depending on your definition of life.

But that does not make us gods nor even godlike IMO.

>Given how many atheists say things like "I don't believe in God because
>there's just no evidence in favor", I wonder how many people would answer
>which way.

How many atheists say "Looking at the state of this world, who in their right
mind would worship that god or even approve of its behaviour?".

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jun 2009 13:57:35
Message: <4a33e88f$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>  but it gives you no useful information.

It's really a test of "are you a fanatic" or not, atheist style. :-)

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jun 2009 13:59:42
Message: <4a33e90e@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> But that does not make us gods nor even godlike IMO.

No. That's kind of the point. :)

> How many atheists say "Looking at the state of this world, who in their right
> mind would worship that god or even approve of its behaviour?".

Hmmmm. But that means you're not an atheist, if you say "God exists and I
hate him."  Or, perhaps like the Mayans, who (as I understand it), basically
believed "Gods used to exist, but they're all dead now." :-)