POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Shay
Date: 12 Jun 2009 23:00:02
Message: <4a331632$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Here's a thought. I wonder what atheists would say to the question:
>
> "Do you believe that if there is life elsewhere in the universe, it
> might have been designed by a higher intelligence?"

As an atheist: Sure, might have been.

> Given how many atheists say things like "I don't believe in God because
> there's just no evidence in favor", I wonder how many people would
> answer which way.

The clearest "explanation" I can give for atheism is this: an atheist
hasn't started with the assumption that God exists. He has instead
examined the accounts of his (and perhaps other's) culture's predominant
gods and found the accounts unconvincing.

When I was a kid, and not an atheist, I did start with the assumption
that God exists. I concluded, based on this assumption, that any parts
of the Bible which couldn't be historically accurate *must* have been
parables or mistakes made by the human authors through whom God was
working. It was only after I realized I was putting the cart before the
horse that I examined the Bible as I would an account of any other event.

It's very easy to find evidence for what you already believe in, be that
aliens, ghosts, reincarnation, or "lost" people living underground.

  -Shay