POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Passion of the Christ (Message 101 to 110 of 145)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Passion of the Christ
Date: 11 Jun 2009 11:10:55
Message: <4A311E80.7050008@hotmail.com>
On 11-6-2009 7:17, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:40:12 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>>> Exactly.  There's no dictum that states that humans have to be 100%
>>> rational 100% of the time.  Some scientists (and quite well known
>>> scientists, at that) believe there may be a higher power.
>>>
>> And, all of them would have a century ago. This doesn't mean much.
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

That it is only very recently that most scientists are either agnostics,
atheists, or at least not convinced that a God exists. In most of the
western world that change is probably only something that happened over
the last 40 years or so. Just as with more of such changes people living
now can not imagine that it was different. I should quote Terry
Pratchett here I guess, but I don't know where to find the quote.

For the generation of my mother that included e.g. living together
unmarried, homosexuality and same sex marriage were unthinkable. Firing
a woman because she go married was OTOH just the way things should be.
Nowadays things are much different. E.g. accepting homosexuality has
become part of the national identity.
If you look at why our right wing parties consider the muslims here
totally backwards it is because they act like and believe the same sort
of things as our parents did not even half a century ago. It would be
funny if they did not hurt so many peoples feelings.
In the US same sex marriage is still debated, but I would not be
surprised if 5 years after the last state changes its laws most people
can not understand anymore what the fuss was about.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:10:56 +0200, andrel wrote:

> That it is only very recently that most scientists are either agnostics,
> atheists, or at least not convinced that a God exists.

I'd be interested to know the source for that statistic, because that's
the first time I've heard it cited.  I think you'd find a surprisingly
large number of people who work in scientific fields also go to church
regularly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message