POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:58:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Jun 2009 16:42:49
Message: <4a32bdc9$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:10:56 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> That it is only very recently that most scientists are either agnostics,
>> atheists, or at least not convinced that a God exists.
>
> I'd be interested to know the source for that statistic, because that's
> the first time I've heard it cited.  I think you'd find a surprisingly
> large number of people who work in scientific fields also go to church
> regularly.
>
> Jim
Hmm. Wikipedia, but..:

"In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S.
natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of
God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human
beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of
60.7%; this number is 93% among the members of the National Academy of
Sciences. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%."

So, as with "acceptance" of atheism, which as one women from the US
black community stated is so negative that, especially among her
community, a drug dealer, rapist, etc. that goes to church is more
accepted than an atheist with "no" criminal record
(http://www.lawattstimes.com/opinion/opinion/773-out-of-the-closet--black-atheists.html

), the US has more pro-god people in the sciences than places where its
more "accepted". But, one has to wonder how many of those people, if it
was more accepted, would be in the 93% that the NAS has?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {