POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  you & me right now, warp (Message 56 to 65 of 175)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: you & me right now, warp
Date: 16 Feb 2009 17:30:27
Message: <77qjp4dhu9rcm368v51qfvslnha0oii25v@4ax.com>
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:53:08 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>nemesis wrote:
>> Nothing is faster than C, some wise men said. ;)
>
>Assembler is.

I raise you "Machine code" :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 16 Feb 2009 17:57:55
Message: <4999ef73@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
>> Nothing is faster than C, some wise men said. ;)
>
> Assembler is.

ya beat me to it .....

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 16 Feb 2009 18:43:36
Message: <4999fa28@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Nothing is faster than C, some wise men said. ;)
>
> Assembler is.

That's relative. ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 16 Feb 2009 18:54:45
Message: <4999fcc5$1@news.povray.org>
> It got to the point where I'd see a post from Warp saying that Haskell
> sucks because of X, and I'd spent half an hour trying to come up with a
> reason why X is false. It ceased to be about the truth, and about wanting
> to be right. I *wanted* Haskell to be the best.
>
> But wanting something to be true doesn't make it true. And, unfortunately
> for me, Warp is right, as usual. Haskell sucks. And no amount of words
> from me is going to change it. My pride and joy actually sucks, and I
> can't do anything about it.

It's not rare for programmers to take something they like and try to prove
to everyone else that it's the best. You're not alone in doing that. You're
doing two things here though:

 - Realizing that you made a mistake (good)
 - Telling yourself that you're hopeless because of it (bad).

Just because you may have lost some rationality by over-defending haskell
doesn't mean that you've wasted your time learning it, or even that it's a
bad language. You've gotta stop dragging yourself down like that. Identify
your mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Haskell is still useful and
you're better off for knowing it.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message