POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  So linux actually costs $40 (Message 37 to 46 of 46)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: So linux actually costs $40
Date: 9 Oct 2008 22:10:00
Message: <web.48eeb8a0d818677e34d207310@news.povray.org>

Eero writes:
> I have no idea, since I haven't tried all distros.
> Will Windows play whatever you have bothered to
> download out-of-the-box?

I've tried two dozen.  It's common for them not to play an MPEG-I out of the
box.

Jim wrote:
> 11.0 includes ath5k, which actually (at least for me)
> worked much better than the proprietary ath_pci (madwifi)
> stuff.  Madwifi was always flaky for me.
> Have you looked at 11.0?

I ran to Distrowatch at your suggestion, but it looks like there's only
installation DVD's available now. I'm saving space on my spare PC for
practicing ubuntu installs.

But **THAT** is the way it should be-- if the purists don't like the proprietary
drivers,  WRITE US SOME NEW ONES!   Hurrah that someone did!  But, I must ask,
why did it take so long, with alll the development that went on otherwise?  It
is an issue of magnitude that I'd think they'd have held up 10.2 until they had
one. I'm deadly serious.  Just cutting off an essential feature is plain stupid.
As the bug report for missing ath_pci shows, it lost SUSE a minumum of two
customers.  A car with no tires.

nemesis wrote:
> I don't like that analogy.  I prefer a Matrix or Rebels from
> Star Wars one.  Notice they too wear ragged clothes, eat slimy
> food, sleep on crowded dorms, live on the run.  But they enjoy
> every bit of it, BECAUSE THEY ARE FREE!! :D

So you were to develop your own video format system and were thwarted by
proprietary software? I'm trying to imagine how many people would have a
freedom they'd've actually exercised in this case.

Post a reply to this message