POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 : Re: So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So linux actually costs $40
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 10 Oct 2008 20:06:45
Message: <48efee15@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> 	As an end user on Linux, Flash sucked for a while. It's been just fine
> for a few years now, though. I won't criticize anyone for making it
> better, but yes: Of course people will use software that happens not to
> give problems to them.

It's going to suck again, either with the final release of Flash 10 or
11. There is talk of Flash integrating the PaperVision library to allow
ActionScript to do 3D animations. Right now, this is completely
portable, because everything is done on the CPU. Software rendering in
it's latest, virtual machine format.

With all the noise Adobe is making about the next version of PhotoShop
utilizing the video card to do image processing, I'm expecting them to
try the same in Flash. How well this will work across all the various
*nix platforms, I can only imagine.