POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question
Date: 23 Aug 2008 15:06:31
Message: <48b05fb7@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
> >  (Another issue is that creating an mpeg video (regardless of the mpeg
> >version) is not an unambiguous process. Some mpeg codecs are able to
> >create noticeably better image quality at the exact same file sizes
> >than other, lower-quality codecs.)

> Would you expand on this, Warp?

  Let me present a closely related example:

  A compressed zip file format is very well specified, and thus there are
tons of programs which can read zip files. However, *creating* the zip
file is far from unambiguous. There is no one single definitive perfect
algorithm to create an optimally minimal zip file for any given data.
For this reason there exist zip optimizer programs (such as for example
advzip) which do a better job than the basic zip compressor programs
(such as WinZip or Windows Explorer).

  Creating an mpeg file is similarly ambiguous. There is no one single
optimal algorithm to do so, and thus some codecs do a better job than
others.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message