POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question : Re: Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subject: Stupid Windows Movie Maker (and TMPGEnc) question
From: scott
Date: 25 Aug 2008 02:56:06
Message: <48b25786$1@news.povray.org>
>  It's not a question of how difficult it would be to implement. It's a
> question of whether you want povray to support creating lossy output or
> not. Nothing would be more aggravating than starting your final render,
> waiting 50 hours for it to finish, and then notice that you used the
> wrong compression settings and your video looks like absolute crap.
> At least if you have the lossless original frames, you can re-encode
> easily without having to re-render.
>
>  (Another issue is that creating an mpeg video (regardless of the mpeg
> version) is not an unambiguous process. Some mpeg codecs are able to
> create noticeably better image quality at the exact same file sizes
> than other, lower-quality codecs.)

Sure, but of course the option of outputting individual frames shouldn't be
removed, it could just be another option.  Would be useful, especially for
short quick-to-render animations.  FOr the Windows version POV could just
give you a choice to use any currently installed codec (like most other
video compression programs do), I guess there is a similar thing for other
platforms.