POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) (Message 76 to 85 of 175)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2008 06:06:17
Message: <47bd5b29$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:44:59 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>>> like I said, photorealism is not a matter of opinion.
>>
>> Sure it is.  It all depends on one's perception of the image.  You
>> might look at an image and say "gee, that looks really
>> photorealistic", and I might respond "are you on drugs?  Look at that
>> shadow, that's clearly not right".  You might disagree about that
>> particular shadow (whatever it is).
>
> if I saw at a sharp shadow and said it was photorealistic, I'd sure be
> on drugs. ;)

Any shadow viewed from sufficient distance will appear razor sharp.
Using sharp shadows for large-scale objects and scenes can be completely
photorealistic.

>> Have you ever been to a movie with someone who thinks the CG effects
>> are outstanding and "the most realistic effects they'd ever seen",
>> only to tell them that they were crap effects?

I've certainly heard people say they thought the effects were rubbish
when I thought they were exemplary... the Hulk, for one.

Post a reply to this message