POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Feb 2008 06:09:30
Message: <47bd5bea$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Sure, you can endlessly tweak the povray scene or settings in other
> biased renderings to get very photorealistic results.  You may also
> endlessly tweak the light sources and radiosity/photon mapping settings
> to get the illumination just right.  You can do nothing at all about
> aliasing of edges against very bright backdrops.
>
> Or you can just buy top hardware, model, texture and drop accurate
> lighting in your scene and let an unbiased rendering method handle it
> overnight.

I find that most of my tweaking in POV is for 'artistic' reasons -
making sure shadows don't line up with edges, or that the light is in
the right place to make the objects look right/good, or that objects are
placed and textured naturally. Only occasionally do I find myself
tweaking for image quality.