POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) (Message 111 to 120 of 175)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2008 09:16:45
Message: <47bd87cd$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> Right. So trace rays, let them bounce off diffuse surfaces at
>> semi-random angles, and gradually total up the results for all rays?
>
> Yes.

OK. Sounds simple enough...

>> Presumably that won't work with point-lights though? (You'd never hit
>> any!)
>
> Unless you start some rays from the point light to add into the mix (in
> a physically correct way of course).

Well... presumably it still traces rays "backwards" from camera to
source, right?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 21 Feb 2008 09:33:53
Message: <47bd8bd1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible a écrit :
> scott wrote:
>>
>> Unless you start some rays from the point light to add into the mix
>> (in a physically correct way of course).
>
> Well... presumably it still traces rays "backwards" from camera to
> source, right?

Not in every method. For example bi-directionnal path tracing, if I
reckon correctly, creates random (but physically correct, of course)
paths linking light to camera. So it works with point lights pretty well.

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message