POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray rendering in the news. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  povray rendering in the news. (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: gregjohn
Subject: povray rendering in the news.
Date: 4 Dec 2007 08:40:01
Message: <web.475557b439dcb4cf34d207310@news.povray.org>
Guess who's the author of the SDL?

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/30/first-inqpressions-intel-45nm

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: povray rendering in the news.
Date: 4 Dec 2007 08:55:52
Message: <47555c67@news.povray.org>
gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/30/first-inqpressions-intel-45nm

  Does the povray standard benchmark really take less than 1 minute to
render in the most modern processors? That's quite fast.

  In my computer it takes something a half an hour. (Although I think
I haven't tested with the latest version of the benchmark, though. I think
there are at least some changes with the media clouds?)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  Does the povray standard benchmark really take less than 1 minute to
> render in the most modern processors? That's quite fast.
>
>  In my computer it takes something a half an hour. (Although I think
> I haven't tested with the latest version of the benchmark, though. I think
> there are at least some changes with the media clouds?)

I tested with the latest beta, and it takes almost exactly 5 minutes on my
laptop (dual-core 2 GHz).  Under 1 minute for a newer 4-core 3.2 GHz machine
seems in the right ball-park.

Post a reply to this message

>   Does the povray standard benchmark really take less than 1 minute to
> render in the most modern processors? That's quite fast.
>
>   In my computer it takes something a half an hour. (Although I think
> I haven't tested with the latest version of the benchmark, though. I think
> there are at least some changes with the media clouds?)

 From what I see on the *image*, there are apparently no clouds at all.
I know the 3.7 benchmark was modified, not the same as the 3.6
benchmark, but I don't know what were the changes specifically.

Post a reply to this message

>>  Does the povray standard benchmark really take less than 1 minute to
>> render in the most modern processors? That's quite fast.
>>
>>  In my computer it takes something a half an hour. (Although I think
>> I haven't tested with the latest version of the benchmark, though. I
>> think
>> there are at least some changes with the media clouds?)
>
> I tested with the latest beta, and it takes almost exactly 5 minutes on
> my laptop (dual-core 2 GHz).  Under 1 minute for a newer 4-core 3.2 GHz
> machine seems in the right ball-park.

Hmm, I have a Pentium 2.66 GHz quad core here, and the standard
benchmark took 4 minutes, 20 seconds! Why would this be only slightly
faster that a 2 GHz duo-core machine?

I used version 3.7b23. Here are the messages:

Peak memory used:           8449408 bytes

Render Time:
   Photon Time:      0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1.938 seconds)
               using 1 thread(s) with 1.937 CPU-seconds total
   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
   Trace Time:       0 hours  4 minutes 16 seconds (256.407 seconds)
               using 4 thread(s) with 1022.327 CPU-seconds total
POV-Ray finished
-
CPU time used: kernel 0.27 seconds, user 1025.83 seconds, total 1026.09
seconds.
Elapsed time 260.08 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 3.95.
Render averaged 1007.94 PPS (255.48 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels.

Sam

Post a reply to this message