POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= (Message 21 to 30 of 82)
From: Ross
Subject: Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc=
Date: 24 Oct 2007 11:28:39
Message: <471f64a7$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote in message news:471ef1fb@news.povray.org...
> >> for example, this one could
> >> rock my socks off:
> >
> >> "render translucent objects with heterogeneous scattering properties"
> >> http://www.pbrt.org/gallery/dragon_subsurf.png
> >
> >  The algorithm used to create that picture might be cool and all, but
> > somehow that precise example picture doesn't excite me a lot. It somehow
> > fails to look photorealistic.
>
> This one looks much better IMO:
>
> http://www.pbrt.org/gallery/01F12.jpg

As a composition, I'd agree. And the material is nice. It was the
"heterogeneous scattering" that got me though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Oct 2007 13:37:30
Message: <471f82da$1@news.povray.org>

471e6858@news.povray.org...
>  I think POV-Ray needs new algorithms which will make it produce prettier
> pictures *faster*, not slower. You said it yourself that the algorithms
> used
> in that program may produce cool results, but you could take a trip around
> the world in a boat before the image is ready.

That's true, but after having tested the Maxwell demo, I came to believe
that this technology was what raytracing was 15 years ago: slow, immature,
but vastly superior (quality-wise) to the competition. It's also extremely
simple to use. Now I'm not saying that all development effort should be put
on unbiaised rendering, just that it's an example of the things that should
be looked at very closely. For instance, one thing I found particularly
impressive (and remarkably efficient) in Maxwell is that material
definitions are based on physical parameters rather than on the traditional
channel paradigm (can't explain more, but the manual is on line IIRC).

In short, there's really a lot of cool stuff out there (and I'm using a
bunch of them in FinalRender), and that is worthy of discussion. One
exciting, attractive aspect (for artists and developers alike) of POV-Ray 10
years ago was that it was innovative. Isosurfaces, photon mapping, radiosity
were new, fantastic features. A new version of POV-Ray should be innovative
when it comes to rendering technology.

>  As I said, it's easy to suggest all kinds of features, but there doesn't
> seem to be many volunteers for actually doing the hard work of studying
> the
> algorithms and presenting some concrete proposals on how to embed them in
> POV-Ray.

There are lots of people working (for free) on other renderers using these
algorithms, so the workforce is here. Now, how to make them work for POV-Ray
is a matter of good diplomacy...

G.

G.

Post a reply to this message

> For instance, one thing I found particularly
> impressive (and remarkably efficient) in Maxwell is that material
> definitions are based on physical parameters rather than on the traditional
> channel paradigm (can't explain more, but the manual is on line IIRC).

Yes, that's definitely one thing that I would like to see in a free
renderer. Finally go away from the RGB space... And being able to output
that would be nice as well.

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message