POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correc= : Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co= Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANN: New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically co=
From: Tom York
Date: 24 Oct 2007 14:45:01
Message: <web.471f91ea2430aff27d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> There are lots of people working (for free) on other renderers using these
> algorithms, so the workforce is here. Now, how to make them work for POV-Ray
> is a matter of good diplomacy...

PBRT is very nice, source-wise (and the book is immensely useful). It does
support conventional raytracing if I remember rightly, it doesn't have to
run unbiased. I don't know if that applies to this fork.

I'm waiting until the 3.7 source is made available before deciding whether
or not to continue with POV. The main things that keep me using it now
(apart from invested time) are that the SDL allows me to make a reasonable
scene without having to involve Blender, and that I still think media is
pretty unique.

Tom