POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Saw a weird C++ construct I'm not sure I understand... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Saw a weird C++ construct I'm not sure I understand... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Darren New
Subject: Saw a weird C++ construct I'm not sure I understand...
Date: 20 Aug 2008 12:23:50
Message: <48ac4516@news.povray.org>
I saw a bit of a note describing how to use an "assert" and a "check"
call in some C++.  "Assert" would exit the program if it failed, and
"check" would let the program continue after logging in order to look
for more failures.

But the invocation was along the lines of

assert(x < 10) <<
    "The value x is " << x << " but that's too small";

The only way I can see this working is if assert returns either a
subclass with operator<< defined to do nothing, or with operator<<
defined to log something. In the latter case, the destructor would exit
the program?  Would that work?

I think to figure out C++, I need to figure out where all the invisible
method invocations are that the compiler inserts for you. That would
seem to be my biggest stumbling block right now.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:23:49 +0200, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> I saw a bit of a note describing how to use an "assert" and a "check"
> call in some C++.  "Assert" would exit the program if it failed, and
> "check" would let the program continue after logging in order to look
> for more failures.
>
> But the invocation was along the lines of
>
> assert(x < 10) <<
>     "The value x is " << x << " but that's too small";
>
> The only way I can see this working is if assert returns either a
> subclass with operator<< defined to do nothing, or with operator<<
> defined to log something. In the latter case, the destructor would exit
> the program?  Would that work?

I do not see why it would not.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

> I saw a bit of a note describing how to use an "assert" and a "check"
> call in some C++.  "Assert" would exit the program if it failed, and
> "check" would let the program continue after logging in order to look
> for more failures.

> But the invocation was along the lines of

> assert(x < 10) <<
>     "The value x is " << x << " but that's too small";

  That's a rather obscure, although clever way of printing error information
in case of assertion failure.

  It's actually not obvious how it's implemented, but at least this would
work:

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

class DataOutput
{
    const bool doExit;

 public:
    DataOutput(bool e): doExit(e) {}

    ~DataOutput()
    {
        if(doExit)
        {
            std::cerr << std::endl;
            std::exit(1);
        }
    }

    template<typename T>
    DataOutput& operator<<(const T& data)
    {
        if(doExit) std::cerr << data;
        return *this;
    }
};

#define assert(cond) ((!(cond)) ? \
  (DataOutput(true) << __FILE__ << " " << __LINE__ \
                    << ": Assertion (" << #cond << ") failed. ") : \
   DataOutput(false))

  The only problem I see with this is that you can't compile this in a
way that completely drops out the operator<< calls and its parameters.
The operator<< calls are *always* performed, even if no assertion failure
happens, and there's no way of compiling the program so that the compiler
would drop those calls.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message