POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Caller ID spoofing? (Message 1 to 10 of 50)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Caller ID spoofing?
Date: 22 Jul 2008 13:13:00
Message: <4886151c@news.povray.org>
Is there such a thing?

Last evening got a call that showed up as

1-123-456-7890

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Caller ID spoofing?
Date: 22 Jul 2008 13:21:05
Message: <48861701$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>
> 1-123-456-7890

Yes there is and it's obnoxious. Its a way to get around the Do Not Call
list. By falsifying the number, there's little you can do to report the
call. Usually they don't give a name in the recorded message, Instead
instruct you to push a number, which transfers an agent who is trained
to hang up at the first sign of someone actually trying to discover the
identity. There's a new round of them going around lately. My caller-id
on my cellphone gave back a number with an extra digit. My home phone
had the same number you describe call it. Both were vague recorded
messages.

Post a reply to this message

"Mike Raiford" <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Yes there is and it's obnoxious. Its a way to get around the Do Not Call
> list. By falsifying the number, there's little you can do to report the
> call. Usually they don't give a name in the recorded message, Instead
> instruct you to push a number, which transfers an agent who is trained to
> hang up at the first sign of someone actually trying to discover the
> identity. There's a new round of them going around lately. My caller-id on
> my cellphone gave back a number with an extra digit. My home phone had the
> same number you describe call it. Both were vague recorded messages.

well sheesh ..... it seems like these days it's all about finding a way to
get around the rules. first it's the patriots and their "video gate" and now
this!

It's shear madness out there I tell you!!!! ;-)

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>
> 1-123-456-7890

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Isaac

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:13:02 -0300, Jim Holsenback wrote:

> Is there such a thing?
>
> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>
> 1-123-456-7890

Yeah, there is - though I thought in the US it was illegal.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:13:02 -0300, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>
>> Is there such a thing?
>>
>> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>>
>> 1-123-456-7890
>
> Yeah, there is - though I thought in the US it was illegal.
>
> Jim

The businesses using it have money, so that law doesn't apply to them.
In the US, we only bust kids playing with computers and charge them with
being cyber terrorists.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:24:33 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> The businesses using it have money, so that law doesn't apply to them.
> In the US, we only bust kids playing with computers and charge them with
> being cyber terrorists.

Sad but true sometimes....

In a way, it kinda reflects back on the old "Phreaking" history...

Jim

Post a reply to this message