POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? : Re: Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caller ID spoofing?
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 23 Jul 2008 15:34:57
Message: <488787e1$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> Last evening got a call that showed up as
>
> 1-123-456-7890

	It's very likely that this was a call from someone using Skype Out. Not
intentional spoofing. Don't put it on any block list as it's likely
someone you know trying to call.

	And yes, it's easy to spoof, and as someone pointed out, illegal in the
US (not sure if this is a state rule or a federal rule). I did it once,
two years ago. I had set up an Asterisk server on my computer and was
playing around with it. I signed up for a phone number, and the software
lets you configure what the outgoing caller ID will be. I tried it,
called my normal phone line, and checked the caller ID. It was whatever
I had set it to be. That simple.

	Didn't call anyone else with that spoofed ID, though - and abandoned
the whole Asterisk thing a day or two later.

--
----> If you cut here, you'll ruin your monitor. <----

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl