POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do you recognise any of these phrases? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Do you recognise any of these phrases? (Message 11 to 20 of 57)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Do you recognise any of these phrases?
Date: 17 Jun 2008 14:51:26
Message: <485807ae$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> Hmm. Dictionary says it just means 'quantity'. Guess that's my physics
> background showing through.
> Either way, it doesn't mean 'revolutionary', 'massive' or 'significant'

Quantum means discrete, as in having integer-valued states rather than
real-valued states.  Sort of like "granule". :-)  Quantum, atomic, and
granule are all relatively similar meanings, methinks.

> Quantum leap forward = leap forward of some arbitary quantity. Doesn't quite
> have the same ring.

Sure. But the point is it's a leap, not a slide. You don't ease forward
a quantum amount. You have to leap forward a quantum amount.

A "compute quantum" is how long the OS lets your program run before
interrupting it, for example. It doesn't matter how long that it, or
whether it's the same time for every program.

On the other hand, they're probably just (as Andrews says) using it
because it sounds cool, not because they know what it means.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: